• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do You Want To See A Tanking Guideline?
I shopped Malone for quite a while and his asking price was always 2 first round types my response "He's good but I can't do that." This was at least 3 years ago." for players who I hear "it's too bad he plays in oakland he'd have better stats in toronto or boston." then why is that type of asking price going to matter?(I've heard this type of GM to GM banter all the time, where b/c I'm in oakland the wind and celestial movement and Jesus are keeping my production numbers low for my hitters.)
Again it's b/c these prospects are put on such a pedestal that in some ways your yanking teeth when you ask for something. DP's are a little bit easier.
And you're two different place, but they have the same stats and they are still bringing that kind of haul(granted it was a 29 year old in Spencer's build)

And I'm glad you mentioned "builds and ammy" stats as a way to determine prospects. I don't do a whole lot of pre draft scouting, and I def don't have time to scout their college or HS stats to see if 'guy A is better than guy B' based off of that. I've drafted the same way in every league, and this is the only one where I'm constantly watch guys fail. There was a time when I first started here, where there was a 5-8 season stretch of only having 1 high DP player(1st of 2nd round)that I drafted on the team. As it comes to drafting I've see GM's take a 61/86 over the current crop of 65/89-91 and wonder "what does he know that I don't". My strategy has always been to take guys w/ higher peaks(not the highest) but I also compare guys base off their bases as well.

"We may not be always looking for that blockbuster deal, but we're always looking for ways to improve our team or fix a hole an injury has left us. I do think you try to hold fast to too many of your players and then try to reap value after they've completely busted when no one will want them at that point."

Andy mentioned about 8-10 teams as post #10 and the interesting thing, he named every team w/ a high budget, the only team he didn't mention w/ a budget about 150 was KCR. What does that have to do w/ anything? You guys are able to offer better contracts to Free Agents, thus you are able to go ahead a fill holes. we aren't all on a level playing field, nor are some of the teams even close. I've said it before, and I was a winner then, give me 110 as a budget and I'll be a consistent winner. as it stands now I can't fill a $15M hole before I have guys in place b/c at that point I'm wasting 1/6 of my budget on a useless FA that, after a bad 1st half, I can't even try to move b/c of sign and trade rules.(a whole season is a long time to force us to hold a guy if the decision isn't panning out.)
The option to move teams has been there for me, but I've become attached to Oakland, and it seems like the guys who DO want to move are those who for 30 seasons have been winning and winning and winning.
Oakland A's
2015-Current
(18 seasons)
1,340-1,577
74-.44-87.66
4 AL West titles
2 ALDS Series appearance
1 WS appearance
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »