• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Podcast Topics
First and foremost great podcast and I wouldn't change a thing about it! Except maybe less referring to Mike as "magic" cuz I mean...cmon now. Mike...Magic? Yeah and Jbills won a WS. lol Jk love ya Mike.

Seriously, I was listening and heard the discussion from Andy & the Boys about the defensive positions being edited. I'm definitely for giving some guys some defensive versatility. Now, not everyone is obviously going to be able to play other positions especially if they've only played one their entire life but I agree with Andy on the fact a guy with high speed should at least be competent in a Center Fielder position. At least basically around the lines of that. I think having a few guys in the draft would be kool to give that to but also current guys through a winterball program as well. I get the wonder of whether or not the edits will hurt the file but in my experience in the "TD Age", defensive edits do not change overall unless you're switching Dan Uggla's fielding to Ben Zobrist and even then the overall differential is miniscule.

I don't know exactly how the current winterball system works, or if there even is one, but I think sending a guy to WB to allow him to learn a new position would be super helpful and at least add to the "realism" of the league. It plays a big part on the bench an entire year. You have 5 bench spots but 7 positions not including catcher. Then you have to carry a catcher so Dan Uggla doesn't have to. That's 4 bench spots we have to fill with players who can only play one position. Mogul 2016 is just like this. Just don't even waste your money on mogul 2016. Yuck.

Anyways, as I said, allowing some guys to go to WB or something of that nature with current guys would be exponential going forward. I get if you wanted to limit the overall and age which they're able to learn a new position since the stars and older vets rarely go out to learn a new position. Maybe only leave it to prospects or younger utility guys would be super beneficial. As I said this could work through the draft as well and a way to at least give some prospects a chance to have added value going forward.

One way through the draft you can determine which guy should get a boost is just by looking at their fielding chart in their player card. A Center Fielder can have a 75 CF mark and his LF 71 and his RF 72. Basically just pick the highest one, in this case is RF, and boost it a bit. Something playable. Some guys in the draft do have predicted stats at other positions but very little. I don't know if this changes in the future as we're now almost 60 years in, but either way that could be something to look at.

Same thing could go for a utility guy, find his highest "overall" on the fielding chart and that would be his secondary position that he can learn. Something of that nature would at least give guys a 2nd option at a different position. We all know mogul LOVES to put that RF at LF during random games but we all know that'll end up costing teams certain games. I've accidentally gone sims without a backup catcher and the results are hilarious.

Just my take on it but wanted to throw it out there.

Also in terms of the SP to RP,that's definitely a problem in terms of overall. In my experience, you have to really play around with the predicted stats to turn a guy into a reliever. What usually ends up happening is his movement drops, power goes up and control just depends on the predicted. This will definitely alter overalls and it's not due to endurance but mainly due to the rest of the vitals moving. I get the problem here but if we want to stay away from overall moving then this is not a good option.

That was shorter cuz my hands hurt. Take a gander as X Wanders Out!

Also....check out the White Sox block ;)
http://firstclassmogul.com/showthread.php?tid=40712
I appreciate the post Clypse!

I know matty would like to open up position versatility to all players, not just the young ones, we'd have to look into that.

From some initial looks it appears the pitching idea is probably out, there is too much of an effect on overall.

For hitters here is an example we can use. This is a player who is currently unpeaked with vitals 93-85-74 on defense. Primarily a RF. On his player card his vitals look like this:

LF - 65-67-68
CF - 61-82-80
RF - 93-89-74

First, that's just stupid. How do you have a 93 arm in RF but a 65 in LF?

With a couple tweaks I can make it this:

LF - 90-86-71
CF - 84-84-75
RF - 93-85-74

There is a one point bump in overall, but it won't change the way the game calculates anything. That player now looks like a real life outfielder rather than the absurd way mogul has it. It also took me about a minute to do the adjustment.
World Champion 2018, 2021, 2026, 2030, 2035, 2037, 2039
AL Champion 12 times
FCM Best Record-Holder - 121-41 2028
Overall Record: 3530-1978 .641%
So one possibility is for matty and I to make adjustments to the big league clubs currently in a dummy file, release them for everyone to see what they think and go from there. I have a little time over my break I can tinker with things.
AL Champion 12 times
(12-23-2016, 11:13 AM)AndyP Wrote: I appreciate the post Clypse!

I know matty would like to open up position versatility to all players, not just the young ones, we'd have to look into that.

From some initial looks it appears the pitching idea is probably out, there is too much of an effect on overall.

For hitters here is an example we can use. This is a player who is currently unpeaked with vitals 93-85-74 on defense. Primarily a RF. On his player card his vitals look like this:

LF - 65-67-68
CF - 61-82-80
RF - 93-89-74

First, that's just stupid. How do you have a 93 arm in RF but a 65 in LF?

With a couple tweaks I can make it this:

LF - 90-86-71
CF - 84-84-75
RF - 93-85-74

There is a one point bump in overall, but it won't change the way the game calculates anything. That player now looks like a real life outfielder rather than the absurd way mogul has it. It also took me about a minute to do the adjustment.

Yeah that looks extremely solid there. I'm definitely not against older players becoming more versatile it just depends if the rest want it. I like the idea we have there. As you said, the one point bump won't effect much either. Even then there may even be times where there isn't an overall bump which definitely works. I say we run with it honestly.
The question for me is, how do we do this in a non-arbitrary way. I had no system there beyond the goal of "make the vitals unchanged, but add predicteds at the other positions"

I'd like to hear ideas about how to do this systematically and impartially. Frankly, I see this as an offseason overhaul type of thing and then we do the same to every incoming draft class so we never deal with this again.
AL Champion 12 times
On pitching - it isn't as simple as just lowering endurance. You have to recalibrate everything.

Frankly, just from a few test runs, I think it's off the table.
AL Champion 12 times
Some possible ways to do this in a non-arbitrary way:

Some things that will just always be set:

*All LFs can play RF and vice versa.
*All SSs will have vitals for 2B with a 5% knock. (So a 90-90-90 SS at 2B would be 85-85-85)
* All 2Bs wil lhave vitals for SS but with a 15% knock (so a 90-90-90 2B will be a 77-77-77 SS or a 70-70-70 2B will be a 60-60-60 SS)
*All CFs will have vitals for LF and RF with a 5% knock

Otherwise, if a 3B has it show on his player card that he can also play 1B we can give him predicteds there. Same with LF/RF or anyone else with a 1B card. (Maybe anything that is 70+?)

I'm open to ideas.
AL Champion 12 times
I like the 5% knock, 15%, 5%, thing that you just mentioned. I'd to add to that by saying any spot they played in HS and college they should at least have some predicteds there. And that would depend on how well they played. Where as now they may have predicteds there but they could have played well in a spot but now suck cause of mogul.
Another option: Player cards with a non-primary positon listed above 70 get the following tweaks:

70-75 10% from vitals, 75-80 5% dock, 80+ vitals are the same at that position.
AL Champion 12 times
also talked about maybe adding another knock if oging up the defense spectrum
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »