• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2078 Draft Grades
Mzy/TT

ARI2
Mzy:
Grade: A/
Best Pick: Fingers 2B/
Sleeper Pick: Post RP/

Fingers could easily be the best player out of the draft, Post could develop into a good Closer. Missing out on a higher grade due to the pitches on Kitawawa, if he develops a good second pitch the grade will go up.

TT:
Grade: A
Best Pick: 2B Fingers
Sleeper Pick: SP Corronado

Fingers was my favorite player in the draft, and the guy I would have been targeting if I had a top 5 pick, who should end up as one of the top 2B in the file. Post was my pick for sleeper, but to mix it up, Corronado has an interesing profile as a 16 year old with his control and power well above his overall, could jump to be a solid middle of the rotation starter.

ATL2
Mzy:
Grade: C+/
Best Pick: Joel Miller OF/
Sleeper Pick: N/A/

Hard to grade off of one pick, this is a build most GM's love. He will be one of the faster players in the file but the rest of his offense is a concern and we worry about his overall defense.

TT:
Grade:C
Best Pick: Joel Miller
Sleeper Pick:

Miller is just not a favorite of mine. If he develops at the best case scenario, he could be an near-average hitter, with a solid eye to complement the elite speed/baserunning combo, and the defense should end up good enough to play all 3 OF positions, but he'll be better suited for LF overall. But without progressing on that track, he may be destine for a 4th OF role.

:bal3:
Mzy:
Grade: D/
Best Pick: Decker 1B/
Sleeper Pick: Sodani 2B/

Decker could become a solid 1B/DH but his ceiling might be a platoon. Sodani could also end up an ok platoon.

TT:
Grade:C-
Best Pick: C/UTIL Villa
Sleeper Pick: CF Walthall

Villa was a nice pickup late in the draft, as a catcher/4 corner guy...he'll need a jump to become a useful bench piece on major league roster, but getting a guy that could have that flexibility in the 4th round is a nice plus. Walthall, even if a long shot, could be a nice power hitting option at any OF position (and spoiler alert: he got a random jump to 86 for sim 5).

:bos2:
Mzy:
Best Pick: Hammer C/
Sleeper Pick: Thomas SS/

Hammer could be a good starter in the majors, Thomas is closer to being MLB ready but if that offense can progress well with that defense he could be very good at SS.

TT:
Grade: C
Best Pick: C Hammer
Sleeper Pick: SS Thomas

Same as Mzy here, but Hammer's got a chance to be at least a backup C, with a chance to be a power hitting (although low average) starting option Thomas may not be best suited for SS with the low arm rating, but I'd be interested to see if he could play 2B well enough, as his range and fielding ratings appear to support that possibility, and the bat should play there as well.

:chc2:
Mzy:
Grade: B-/
Best Pick: McWhirk OF/
Sleeper Pick: Shorrock SP/

McWhirk can be a good to very good speedy CF the defense is a slight worry, Shorrock could end up being a very pleasant surprise for them at 101.

TT:
Grade: B-
Best Pick: CF McWhirk
Sleeper Pick: 3B/2B Hall

I don't love McWhirk, but I do think he has a chance to be a contributor at any OF spot, even if he won't be great at any once skill in particular. Hall was a nice pick at the back of the 2nd round, while he did drop on his b-day in March, he could still become a serviceable 3B/2B or bench option someday.

:chw2:
Mzy:
Grade: D/
Best Pick: Champlin OF/
Sleeper Pick: Studer SS/

Champlin is the best of a poor draft class for the Sox, could develop into a solid bat. Studer as the sleeper who might end up the best of the class very good defense if the bat comes along a bit could be a everydayer.

TT:
Grade: C
Best Pick: C Evenson
Sleeper Pick: OF Champlin

Tough to draft impact players when all your picks are from 120 and later, but Evenson is another catcher with a 2nd position possibility at 3B, and while he may not turn into much as a hitter, he could end up as a valuable bench option. Champlin has nice vitals currently, but at 21 years old, it remains to be seen how much growth he has, and with out much talent on the defensive side of the ball, he is probably just a DH at best.

:cin2:
Mzy:
Best Pick: Russ SP/
Sleeper Pick: Williams SP/

Russ should be a good mid to upper rotation starter in the show, Williams is a gamble but if he hits the right strides he could be a steal of a pick, but that is a big IF.

TT:
Grade:B-
Best Pick: SP Dean
Sleeper Pick: SP Williams

Going with the all pitcher draft landed CIN GM Theo some interesting arms. All are tough to really predict their future, as all could bust, or most could actually become useful players. I can see the potential in Dean, as if he can get to his current peak of 91, the control should play up to at least 80, which could bring his vitals to somewhere around 80/90/90 which has a chance to be successful, but much less than that makes him unlikely to succeed. Williams has a similar power build as Dean, and probably has the same dilemma, just starting at a lower peak.

CLE2
Mzy:
Best Pick: Miller 3B/DH/
Sleeper Pick: Abbot OF/

Miller gets best pick by default, a similar term to, drafted by default that most thought would be attached to miller. Abbot is that build of high speed and range that everyone like, if he gets a runner he could be a solid 4th OF or better.

TT:
Grade: B
Best Pick: 3B/DH Miller
Sleeper Pick: SS Silvernail

It looks like I'm a little higher on CLE draft than Mzy, but Miller could very well be the best bat in the draft in just a few years time, so getting him at 11 after a handful of other position players gets a high score from me. Abbott was a good pick, but Silvernail also looks like a future UTIL guy that could carve out a nice career with some luck.

:col2:
Mzy:
Grade: B/
Best Pick: Milford OF/

Milford is a good pick, he will play very good defense should hit for a bunch of power and should steal a fair amount of bags.

TT:
Best Pick: OF Milford
Sleeper Pick:

I thought Milford was a bit of a reach here, with some other OF bats on the board, but his bat should play up a bit in COL, and the defense was the best of the other OFs that could have gone here, so it but no means was a bad pick.

:det2:
Mzy:
Grade: A-/
Best Pick: Kays SP/
Sleeper Pick: Cipolotti C/

Kays has a lot of potential, will pitch for a lot of power and with his good control and potential for three good pitchers he could be very good. Cipolotii can be a steal of the whole draft, he has the potential to be a everyday starter who will hit for average and power. There was at least two other guys in the potential sleeper category in this draft as well for Det all of which should bring solid value.

TT:
Grade: A
Best Pick: All of them
Sleeper Pick: OF Sinopoli

Nearly every player GB took came straight off my list, so I obviously have a high opinion of his draft haul, but Stalvey looks to be a great get at the end of the 1st rd, as a power hitting corner OF. Sinopoli snuck under the radar as a lower overall, but he's a lefty with good contact/speed and the eye to go with nice defense...he's a jump away from being the steal of the draft.

:fla2:
Mzy:
Grade: A+/
Best Pick: Gantz SP/
Sleeper Pick: Newhouse 1B/

Gantz is probably the best pitcher of the draft, to then add two other good SP in the 1st round gives Fla a great draft. Newhouse was taken as best avail late in the draft but he has the potential to be a useful bench piece with a chance to be a mid level starter.

TT:
Grade:A-
Best Pick: SP Gantz
Sleeper Pick: 3B Cobb

Gantz was one of the top pitchers this draft (although not my personal top choice) so high grade for that pick. Some of the other arms have nice potential too, but my sleeper is 3B Cobb, who I think has a chance to be a starter at some point, as long as he can field well enough, the bat should be there with a great eye and good power potential.

:hou3:
Mzy:
Best Pick: Courtney 1B/
Sleeper Pick: McKenzie OF/

Solid draft, good SP taken with the first pick and a 1B that may have been overlooked by some, might have to play DH but a great eye and good power and his contact might workout, if it does he should be an everyday player.

TT:
Best Pick: 1B Courtney
Sleeper Pick: CF Sutton

Didn't want to grade my own draft, but since Mzy did his, may as well do mine too. I still think Courtney (who has NOT jumped, regardless of what Jmaine and Peter say) will be a heck of a power hitter without a jump, and a scary middle of the lineup bat with a jump or two. Sutton was another one of those speedy, lefty OFs that were all over this draft, who should be able to play all over the OF, and deliver quality offense and elite baserunning at the top (or bottom) of my lineup.

:kcr2:
Mzy:
Grade: C/
Best Pick: Fukson OF/
Sleeper Pick: McDonough OF/

Fukson big power good speed, at 22 there is concern he wont get to his ceiling but his floor is good enough that he will be at least a 4th OF. McDonough has the speed and a big OF arm might not pan out but could be solid bench piece.

TT:
Grade:B-
Best Pick: CF Fukson
Sleeper Pick: 1B Nader

I think Hearle was a whiff with his 1st pick, but Fukson is a really interesting power hitting OF that will probably have to DH, since he apparently has a literal noodle for an arm. Woods has a nice chance to be an on-base machine at 1B, and at 17 years old, has lots of time to grow into a nice player.

:laa2:
Mzy:
Best Pick: Shaffer SP/
Sleeper Pick: Cooper 3B/

Hard to be a best pick when LAA takes The best catcher and the 2nd best 1B, but Shaffer might have been a bit over looked. If the fastball develops to a good 2nd pitch then he will be a very good upper rotation starter. Cooper has a good chance to become a everyday player.

TT:
Grade: A-
Best Pick: P Shaffer
Sleeper Pick: 3B Wallop

I didn't love the first 2 picks of Buchmann and Nace, but the next 3 of Schaffer, Wilkins, and Wolff could all be excellent players in LAAs rebuild. Wallop was a nice pick at the back of the 2nd round, with elite defense likely to go with good offensive vitals. A jump could turn him into a surprise star player from this draft.

:lad2:
Mzy:
Best Pick: Trewitt 1B/

When you trade all your eggs for one piece of bacon you better be sure, drafting James at 2 was a good move. He is going to be one of the best defensive 1B in the game and possibly on of the best hitters as well, a sure Home Run.

TT:
Grade: B+
Best Pick: Trewhitt
Sleeper Pick:

He should hit, but considering what sxr gave up, I'm not sure we will look back at this as the best use of resources. Or maybe he'll be the next Dan Vines, as sxr pointed out when he drafted him, we'll see...

:mil2:
Mzy:
Best Pick: Vrooman SS/
Sleeper Pick: Rhodes OF/

Vrooman is easily the 2nd best SS in the draft, the speed and defense gets him to the show if the bat gets a bit better it allows him to stick for a long while. Rhodes has a shot at as a everyday player, good looking bat with good defense and big speed.

TT:
Grade: A-
Best Pick: Ss Vrooman
Sleeper Pick: CF Rhodes

As Mzy noted, Vrooman was one of the better SS specs in this draft, and even if he doesn't turn into an impact bat, he should hit enough and play great defense, to be a starter on most teams. Rhodes was a great pick in the 4th round, with good speed and being a switch hitter, he has a chance to be a starter at some point. SP Lee and Fearon were also nice picks, with a chance to become solid SP options at some point. For having 2 late 1sts, and no 2nd round picks, Jmaine did really well with some guys that could end up as really important pieces on future Brewers teams.

:min2:
Mzy:
Grade: C-/
Best Pick: Henning SP/
Sleeper Pick: Diaz OF/

Henning has the chance to be a good back end starter if the fastball can develop he will be a good pick. Diaz doesn't have long to develop but if he does he will be a good power 4th OF.

TT:
Grade:C
Best Pick: SP Hennig
Sleeper Pick: 2B Ridder

Another draft with only picks from the 3rd round onward, but Hennig looks to have a nice starting build, but will need to have some luck in progressing to an overall that will let him be a good starter. Ridder could be a nice switch hitting bat that might actually be playable at 2B defensively.

Mon2
Mzy:
Best Pick: Jensen 3B/
Sleeper Pick: Williams OF/

Jensen should be a everyday regular at the hot corner, he will hit for power and his bat overall should be good. Williams is the typical sleeper of high speed and high range in the OF, but he is also a switch hitter which gives him a small boost.

TT:
Best Pick: 3B Jensen
Sleeper Pick: P Toledano

Jensen was an excellent pick to grab at 26 overall, with elite defense and a serviceable bat his floor, it's not hard to see him having a chance to become a perennial allstar at 3B. Toledano may be a RP or SP, but either way he should have a chance to contribute.

:nym2:
Mzy:
Best Pick: Ross SS/
Sleeper Pick: Luft 2B/

Ross is the best SS in the draft and best we may have seen in a while, there is some small concern around his next b-day/jump but he should be a very good starter for a long while. Luft has a chance to be a useful bat but not a fielder.

TT:
Best Pick: SS Ross
Sleeper Pick: 3B Barclay

I love Ross, and if you squint, you can see a similar offensive profile to my former high draft pick Greg Riggle, although Ross should be a much better defender. The rest of NYM draft, I wasn't a fan of, however Barclay could be a solid bat with a jump or two, although he may be destined for DH if the defense doesn't progress much.

:nyy2:
Mzy:
Best Pick: Nelson SP/
Sleeper Pick: Nelson SP/

Nelson is a SP that people may kick themselves for not taking, if that cutter develops he will be a good SP maybe even a middle of the rotation type.

TT:
Grade: N/A
Best Pick:
Sleeper Pick:

3 very late lotto picks, so no real grade from me here.

:oak2:
Mzy:
Best Pick: Aragune 2B/
Sleeper Pick: Carteil SP/

Aragune is one of the top players in the draft, while Fingers will more than likely be better their can be an argument made for Aragune, great defense and the potential as a huge bat with big power and great patience. Carteil is going to be ok if his fastball develops, if it does he could be a solid back end of the rotation option.

TT:
Best Pick: 2B/3B Aragune
Sleeper Pick: OF/DH Hefner

Aragune has elite defense at 2B and 3B, but the bat and glove may profile better at 3B. Hefner hopefully will never see the field, so the bat will have to develop quite a bit to make him worth the DH spot...at the very least, he will mash lefties.

:phi2:
Best Pick: N/A
Sleeper Pick: N/A

No picks

:pit2:
Mzy:
Grade: B+/
Best Pick: Fay SP/
Sleeper Pick: Sakamoto SS/

Fay has a long way to go but should be a very good SP with Ace potential. He has a very good fastball at 16 already and the sinker will develop nicely, he should be a top end rotation guy. Sakamoto should be a solid fielder with a solid bat with a little speed potential could make his way into a platoon situation.

TT:
Grade:A-
Best Pick: SP Fay
Sleeper Pick: C/1B Jones

Fay was an absolute steal at #7 overall, and my top pitcher in this draft. Although he is young, he has a chance to be a true top of the rotation starter when PIT is ready to contend. Jones was also a great get at #39 overall, when he likely fell due to being considered a catcher, whereas he will likely have a nice bat that will play at 1B.

:sdp2:
Mzy:
Best Pick: Jones OF/
Sleeper Pick: Horenburg OF/

Jones should be a good bat and will hit nicely, should be an everyday player the lack of defense might regulate him DH which could potentially hurt his value. Horenburg has good speed and solid defense, he is a bit old so he doesn't have long to make his move but a good jump and he should be a 4th OF type.

TT:
Best Pick: SP Stambaugh
Sleeper Pick: SS Jensen

Stambaugh's got a nice starting build, so if he can progress as expected, I expect him to be a solid mid-rotation starter at least. Jenses has elite defenseive vitals all over the infield. The bat will likely keep him from being a starter, but he'll have value as a great defender off the bench.

:sfg2:
Mzy:
Best Pick: Calnan OF/
Sleeper Pick: McNally SS/

Calnan has the speed range build, has ok power and a good eye as well could become a everyday player but more than likely will end up a 4th OF. McNally has a solid defense with some speed and a good eye, he might not be a starter but he should end up on someone bench.

TT:
Grade:C+
Best Pick: SS McNally
Sleeper Pick: RF Born

Another late picks only-draft, but I like McNally quite a bit for the 6th round, with quality defense and a realistic shot to become a decent hitter. Born has potential to be a quality player with a profile of a 4th OF at best.

:sea2:
Mzy:
Best Pick: Zamudia OF/
Sleeper Pick: Herrera 2B/

Its tough to pick a best spec with there being three potential starters one in each OF position in the first three, but Zamudia looks very good. His power and defense give him a easy Nunz comparison. Herrera has good speed solid defense and an ok bat, these things qualities could turn him into a starter down the road.

TT:
Best Pick: OF Nagasawa
Sleeper Pick: SP Venturi

I liked Nagasawa, especially at the middle of the 1st round. He should be a really nice hitter against RHP, and will be able to play all 3 OF positions. Venturi could be really solid in a few seasons, and a jump could make him a solid middle of the rotation arm. Mzy grabbed lots of interesting lotto picks at the back of this draft that could turn out nicely, such as Lawler, Herrera, and Bourner.

:stl2:
Mzy:
Best Pick: Walsh RF/
Sleeper Pick: Shaposhnikow 1B

Walsh has a very nice looking bat, a good balance of contact and power with a very good eye, his defense may not play which will hurt his value a bit potentially. Shaposhnikov looks like a typical power eye combo which can play well at 1B or at DH, biggest positive here is the age, gives him a little time to grown into a good bat.

TT:
Best Pick: OF Walsh
Sleeper Pick: SP Reddicliffe

Walsh should be a quality hitter from both sides of the plate, in relatively short order, as long as he can play defense well enough in LF. Reddicliffe has nice starting vitals, but he'll need some jumps to become a usefull longman or 5th starter.

:tex2:
Mzy:
Grade: D
Best Pick: Shimizu 3B
Sleeper Pick: Mornes 3B

Shimizu has the ability to stick in the field as a average to below average defender, his bat will need to come along however to make him more then a AAAA player. Mornes is a DH has an ok bat he might end up being able to platoon hitting lefties, but more than likely a flame out.

TT:
Best Pick:
Sleeper Pick:

A couple late lotto picks, so no grade from me.

:tor3:
Mzy:
Grade: B+
Best Pick: Ford OF
Sleeper Pick: Truax OF/

Ford is a legit bat, he will be a very to very very good bat that you will be able to slot into the middle of the order, his defense is good enough for him to stick in RF which just adds to his value. Truax is a big bat good power potential and chances are he has good contact as well, might not be more than a bench guy but he has chances be a everyday guy.

TT:
Best Pick: P Johnson
Sleeper Pick: RF Kerrigan

While the #1 pick was Ford form TOR, I think I would have gone with one of the IFs or SP Fay, however he will be a good hitter, assuming he doesn't have the Chervony virus. So Johnson was my favorite pick of his, as he appears to have a chance to be a good RP or maybe more, as he is still very young. Kerrigan is a young switch hitter that will have good contact, power, and eye, even if he won't have a real defensive position.

:was2:
Mzy:
Grade: B+/
Best Pick: Walton SP/
Sleeper Pick: Knight RP/

Walton will surprise a lot of folks coming out of this draft. A very good fastball and a good splitter coupled with a decent curve with good vitals he will be a good pitcher that can push for a top ration spot possibly. Knight is another guy that may very well surprise, if his control stays up and him movement catches up a bit and his fastball and curve develop well he could be a very good RP potential closer.

TT:
Grade:A
Best Pick: CF Avenal
Sleeper Pick: 1B/3B Barr

While I like most of this draft, I thought Peter did well to grab Avenal early in the 3rd, even if I was targeting him near the back of the that round. He could be a guy to cause chaos on the basepaths at the top of the Nat's lineup in a few years. Barr, while listed as a 1B, will be able to play 3B well enough, and the bat has a chance to develop well enough to make him a starter at that position.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »