• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2081 Draft Review
Ari
Grades:
TT: B
MZY: A-

Review:
TT: Dimitya is nice. He pretty much checks all the boxes for what I like in my OFs: switch-hitter, can steal some bases (although not a burner by any stretch), and should be able to hit a few homers as well as play all 3 OF positions. He should be a very good OF, especially in the hitters’ haven that is Arizona. Berman could be a solid back of the rotation arm if the movement ticks up as he grows, and Stevens is interesting, although he probably went a round earlier than he should have.

MZY: We like the pick of Dimitya in the first he may be the best all around OF in the draft good defense and looks to have a nice bat.  Berman should be a solid back end of the rotation arm with a good GB rate though the lack of a fastball is an issue.  Stevens is a good bat and was grabbed in a great spot.  DeCock should not be overlooked it was only a matter of time before someone grabbed DeCock.

Atl
Grades:
TT:
MZY: N/A

Review:
TT:

MZY: Good picking

Bal
Grades:
TT: B+

Review:
TT: Maybe one of the better auto drafts we’ve seen. Kollars at 8 on the surface probably doesn’t look like the type of 1B to go in the top 10, but when you really look at his potential, you start to really like the type of hitter he could be. GB put out the comp of Vic Sanbria, also a switch-hitting 1B, and I think that is certainly the type of hitter he could be, with maybe a bit less eye vital. Olveira checks the same boxes that Dimitya does, except he is probably a true CF. Jahnke has a similar build to Kollars, and could be a useful piece someday.

MZY: Kollars is a great pick top of the draft, whether intentional or not, defense should be fine and the bat will play very very well.  Olveria is a great pick in the second that eye speed and defnse should make him a starter.  Janhke is another nice looking bat and Stuphen may stick in the bullpen when all is said and done.  

Bos Grades:
MZY: B+

Review:
TT: This draft seemed to be a draft where every GM just picked the build he liked the most at that spot. Mostly because the top end SP talent wasn’t obviously there. Reed was a perfect example of that; I don’t hate him but I don’t love him...I think he’s likely at #3 at best, but I can see where someone might see a higher ceiling for him if it all goes right, so taking him at #13 isn’t terribly crazy. Cates has that power build that I avoid, but seeing con/pow above his overall, and his repertoire, I think as long as he gets to 80 control, and the movement doesn’t lag too far behind, he should be useful. Johnson was a sneaky good pick, imo. Solid speed, a lefty hitter, and can play the OF well, he should be a 4th OF minimum with a chance to be an everyday CF if he jumps.

MZY: While I personally do not like Reed nor Cates both have a lot of upside, Reed may have a walks and HR issue but its tough to say in someone so young same issue I have with Cates in he walks but again youth may prevail.  THe next pick taken were all OF who have good shots at becoming MLB players especially Johnson.

Chc
Grades:
TT: C
MZY:B-

Review:
TT: Not a fan of Adalco, since he shouldn’t actually ever be behind the plate with those defensive vitals, although he should be a decent hitter, so it’s not a total wasted pick. If he can be a solid DH or maybe 1B, then I think Mav will get enough value out of this pick to make it worth it. I didn’t really see much to be inspired by on his other picks, and I think he missed out on grabbing some arms with those later picks, since there were plenty of interesting RP candidates in this one.

MZY: Its hard to have a good draft when you are picking last but Adalco is a good pick he is position less to a point but his bat look good.  He is a switch hitter with a great eye and very good contact if you find a way to get him in the lineup all will be well.  Marrera is an interesting bat as well the lower contact is an issue but if it stay close enough he should be a solid bat but again defense is an issue.

Chw
Grades:
TT: A-
MZY: A

Review:
TT: Perkins was my, and most GM’s, best bat in the draft, so getting him at #3 was great for CHW. I liked the pick of Monger at #37. He had good HR rates in his amateur stats, and I think he has good upside and could be a nice #3 option someday. Couple interesting lotto picks in Hale and Silverstein as well.

MZY: Perkins may be the best pick in the draft, there is scuttlebutt about his build due to people, cough Trewitt cough cough, failing even so recently but look at how pretty he is.  THe number scream star and the vitals look very very good he may fail but I would not bet on it.  Monger is a SP more people should have looked at he should be a good mid rotation pitcher though the lack of a fastball could be an issue.  Hahn looks to be a guy that should crack the majors as well possibly as a starter.  SIlverstien not a bad pick up in the later rounds either.

Cin
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT:

MZY: Good picking

Cle
Grades:
MZY: C

Review:
TT: I’m not a fan of Carew. I just don’t think he’s gonna hit LHP enough to be an impact bat. Sure he provides a bit of value on defense, but if it all goes right I don’t think he even gets to 85/80 vs RHP, and he won’t even have an elite eye to make up for it.  

MZY: Carew is a solid pick, pre draft big jumps are a bit difficult to love I do like the contact and the defense a lot, but I don't like the eye and im a bit worried about and not sure the power gets to where it needs to be.  Shields is an interesting pick surprised he fell where he did not a lot to love but enough to like.

Col
Grades:

Review:
TT: I do like Carne quite a bit. It seems like there have been quite a few of these 2B/3B lately (or maybe it’s recency bias), with higher power to go with great defense (Morin, Safran, Aragune). I think he’ll be pretty good a few seasons, especially in that ballpark.

MZY: Carne may be one of the top players in the draft great bat with big power and his defense should play very well though maybe better at 3B in the long run.  Geesemen is a solid pick as will not a top end starter but could be a very nice back end option.

Det
Grades:
TT: A

Review:
TT: GB is trying to keep his GPA up with another A draft from me. I liked Trusdale as one of the 2 or 3 best SP in this draft. I feel pretty confident that the control will play just fine, and I peg his vitals to end up in the 85/85/90+ range, which would probably put him near the top of GB’s rotation, especially if he can hold onto that 55% GB rate. Papp has a nice build with some good amateur stats to go with, if he can get that power over 80, he should be a player. Shippey was a guy I was trying to trade up to get in the middle of the 3rd, and he got some nice lotto picks in Manning and Tortalita.

MZY: While I don't like Trusdale I understand why some do, lots of upside young the lack of fastball and lower movement is concerning but only time will tell.  WIlderson was a HR pick for where he went, great looking bat and good defense should end up being one of the beter bats from this draft.  The next three picks were pitchers that all look nice and all could be mid to back end of the rotation type guys.  Also Manning is a solid OF pick for a guy that may end up as a 4th OF one day.

Fla
Grades:

Review:
TT: I think I like Pearson a bit more than some of the other GMs (except for maybe Mzy apparently lol), but he has alot to like. Sure he doesn’t have the power that you would like to see if you play him at 3rd, but he has very even splits, and I see his vitals getting close to 90 contact/80 power, and with that defense he will be a good player. Parker I think was a bit of a missed pick. He doesn’t look like he will be much of a hitter overall, and doesn’t have elite defense to make him worth putting at the bottom of your lineup. Kerr could potentially be a solid hitter, but he won’t be a great fielder, so will depend on how that develops.

MZY: Really like Pearson could be the best player in the draft, we still lean toward Perkins but it should be close, the defense is the biggest thing to love here and the bat is a close second.  A lack of power and a potential weaker eye is an issue but I do not worry about him.  Parker is a guy that may surprise his bat looks good and his defense should be good enough to work.  Kerr is also a very nice pick up and has a shot at being an everyday OF.

Hou
Grades:
TT:
MZY: B

Review:
TT:

MZY: McComas is a nice pick but maybe a bit of a reach, he has a the change to become a mid rotation arm but everything would have to go right for that to happen so there may have been better choices where he was picked.  Ranjel and Arujo are good picks Ranjel has speed that makes some wet and Arujo was one of the better RP avaialbe in the draft as a whole.

Kcr
Grades:
TT: B-
MZY:B+

Review:
TT: I think Harris has a chance to be a solid bat, but I wouldn’t put him behind the plate. Sure he has the good handling/fielding, but the arm probably won’t crack 80. McMonies was a nice gamble at #61. Some red flags with the amateur HR rates and GB%, but if he can overcome that, and the fact that he is only 54 ovr at 21 years old, he could be a good arm. Romanach was a bit of a sleeper for me. He has a nice repertoire, and if he can jump he could be a factor for a rotation spot eventually.

MZY: Really like this draft considering there was no first round picks, Harris looks like he may end up being a very good bat migh have to DH but he is one to watch.  McMonies is the steal of the draft he could end up being a 2-3 SP in the majors a lot of GMs will kick themselves for not taking a shot on him earlier.  Wirtz is also a sneaky good pick in the middle of the draft.

Laa
Grades:
TT: C+

Review:
TT: Not a fan of LAA’s draft overall. I am just not a believer in Logsdon being a top of the rotation arm. I think he’ll be a solid SP, but I thought he might be the 2nd or 3rd best arm in this one. Obviously there are things to like: the low HR rates, the GB%. But he also only has 2 pitches right now (although most of the time those guys get a 3rd or even 4th pitch later on), and I don’t love how far behind his overall his control is. This draft did not have that obvious stud pitcher like there usually is, so if you thought he was the best pitcher then it makes sense to take him, but I think there were players that will be better impact players overall in this draft. Snell wasn’t much better of a pick either. He’s got limited upside, will peak soon, and is not going to hit very much, even for a SS. The defense is the only thing that really gives him value worth taking in the 1st round.

MZY: Logsdon should end up being a good pitcher there is argument to how good with only 2 current pitches and he has a smaller window then some of the other ptichers at this end of the draft but he is one of the few with a shot as a #1.  Snell is another pick I really liked again very shot window but I feel he will end up being a very special player.  Bascus is a guy out of the back of the draft that could see the majors.

Lad
Grades:

Review:
TT: LAD got a couple of interesting RP specs here. The highest pick was Napoleon at #58, who looks like a future short reliever or possibly set up guy. Not a whole lot to grade with a few lotto picks after that pick.

MZY: Napolean is a RP, that is all.  No seriously not a lot there there poor pitches and not a terribly exciing build.  Webber may be the best pick as he has a shot at the 4th OF spot.

Mil
Grades:

Review:
TT: I’m pretty neutral on Viramontes. He looks like he’ll be an impact bat, but you’d be sacrificing defense to put him in the OF, and he isn’t the prototypical DH build. But the con/spd/eye build was probably worth a shot at #9 ovr. Andrews was a hot topic after he was picked at #25. I was one of quite a few that were looking to move up to grab him at the back of the 1st/early 2nd round. I think he has major upside, without any of the red flags. I’d say his floor is probably a #5 SP, and the sky's the limit if he can hit his jumps along the way.

MZY: Cant blame the man for taking Viramontes someone had too, the speeds builds are ones taken earlier and earlier each year.  His bat screams leadoff and his speed is amazing however the lack of Defense hurts quiet a bit.  CC was a great pick maybe a touch of a reach but he has middle of the rotation type arm.  Sheratt and Pena also could play end of the rotation or back of the bullpen types.

Min
Grades:

Review:
TT: Rush reminds me a bit of my own 2B Greg Simpson, who took some nice jumps to get to a point where he is a solid offensive player, but when he was drafted looked like a speed/eye guy that won’t hit a ton for the most part. The defense on Rush doesn’t look elite or anything to offset the less than ideal bat, but looking at his amateur stats, I think he’ll be fine at SS, even if he isn’t a GG caliber fielder. The bat is the question, as right now it looks like he may struggle to crack 80 contact, but if he can have a growth similar to Simpson, he may just turn into a really good player someday. Broomfield was maybe the steal of the draft when considering upside. I’d put his upside at the level of hitter as say a Juan Giraldo. If the contact can break 80, he’s an allstar bat, but even if it stays in the mid-upper 70s I think he can be a quality DH that provides plenty of power. I also like the later picks of Weddington and Lete for MIN.

MZY: Rush around to complain about Robert but his speed may be the best in the league very very soon, his bat is solid enough but his defense could be a problem reminds me of a guy that played on Seattle in the early 60's.  Broomfield is a guy that again people may kick themselves for not taking, depending on his next drop we should know more but he was a great pick in this position.  Weddington and LEte should both also see the majors at some point.

Mon
Grades:

Review:
TT: I don’t hate the Thompkins pick. He’s different because it looks like the control will be fine, and the power will be really good, but will the movement get to a point where he can strike out enough hitters….because that GB% rate means he either needs to K a lot of dudes, or he’s gonna give up 40 HRs a season. But the potential is there, so this could turn out well for the Expos. Anderson has a very similar build and the same questions to go with it. Ruiz could be a sleeper at #116, he’s got a nice starting build, so we’ll have to see if his vitals can take off.

MZY: Not a fan of any of the pitchers taken in this class, Thompkins may be liked by some but the lack of movement and homerun issue makes me very weary.  THe other SPs taken also do not rign any bells.

Nym
Grades:
TT: N/A
MZY: C-

Review:
TT: I'm just not gonna grade draft classes that start in the 4th, not fair to anyone :)

MZY: All late round picks so not much to grade but both 1B have projectable bats if they were a bit younger the grade would be higher.

Nyy
Grades:

Review:
TT: Arnedo I had as the best catcher in the draft, and usually that means he goes in the top half of the round at least, but this draft was so weak at true catchers, that he fell all the way to #28. He looks like he’ll be a very average-ish catcher. He won’t do anything great, but he’ll probably hit just enough and have enough power to stick around for a little while. The arm isn’t where most GMs prefer it to be, but it should be good enough for most teams. Reeves might be a middle reliever but it’s hard to see him turn into much more than that with the low control.

MZY: Arendo is the best catcher in the draft, which isn't saying much in a very very shitty catcher draft.  But his bat is something that will play nicely and while most will not use him at catcher he could potentially stick there if needed.  Also Reaves may be one of the better RP to come out of the draft.

Oak
Grades:

Review:
TT: Drafting a RP in the middle of the 1st round, I feel like you have to be pretty sure he’s a closer or really good set-up guy, and I just don’t see it in O’Connell. Sure, his amateur stats are great, but his vitals are all at or below his current overall, and his endurance is at a point where it probably won’t get into the true RP levels in the 20s or lower which hurts him. And even if you convert him to SP, I don’t see him being a very effective SP. Pasternak probably has a MR future as well, but taking him at #52 is a much better risk than O’Connell at #18.

MZY: Doug does it again!  While no one was paying attention Doug had a very good draft.  He took the two best RP in the draft with O'Connell looking like closer material in a McSourley type fashion.  Pasternick was also a very suave choice in the second if they both hit Oakland will have one of the stronger bullpens for many years.  Bergeron was another pick I liked even if it felt a bit reachy he could develop into an absolute flame thrower, and Cresso was a solid pick up late in the draft decent looking bat the eye is a major concern however.

Phi
Grades:

Review:
TT: PHI got a nice jump start on their rebuild. Verdecia probably went a bit higher than he should have...he’s got that power build, where the control has to get to a certain point or he will be terrible. Fell had some worried about his HR rates, but I tend to lean on the fact that he was 61 ovr in his college stats that makes me think he might be able to bring those HRs down a to a more respectable level, because the vitals will be there for sure. Sharma and MacLaghlan were sneaky good picks, as both look like they have a chance of being in the middle of a rotation some day.

MZY: When you take lots of pitchers you are either desperate or know what you are doing, Poldi may know what he is doing.  While we are not high on Verdecia and think Clear would have been a far better selection at 6 we understand the potential of a 20 year old kid with tons of upside but he turns 21 in October so to have such a low overall may spell doom.  The next four pitchers he took were all guys I liked a lot, Sharma the least out of the group, Fell was one of my Top 5 favorite Sp in the draft if he can not develop a HR issue he might be top 3 but the HR are a massive concern, Sharma is a good pitcher with nice growth potential, Chacon was the first time I really swore during the draft had him ready to type out a few picks later, look for him to be a potential steal.  McLaghlan is also a good selection taken right before I was able to pick.

Pit
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT:

MZY: Best Draft in PA by far

Sdp
Grades:

Review:
TT: I think I may have been slightly higher on Bramwell than alot of the other GMs, but I think he’s a solid spec, especially to get at #20. Yes, he’s a lefty, but he’s young, and his vitals are all where you want to see them compared to his overall. I think he has a real shot to get to 85/90/90, which, if he can get his HRs in check a bit, could make him a mighty fine SP. Not a big fan of Welker, as he can really only do one thing well and that’s run fast, but he doesn’t have the baserunning vitals to actually steal many bases. He will be decent on defense, so maybe you can live with his less than ideal bat for a bit with him, but I think he’s got a 4th OF role in his future. I liked the picks of Young and Williamson, as they each have a nice starting build and could end up sticking as #5 SP or LR before they’re done.

MZY: Branwell is an interesting pitcher tons of upside and only 17, cue Winger song, if he developes the way Matty wans him to you are looking at a nice mid rotation arm that will put in a number of years of solid to good work.  Welker was a great pick, very good speed and good defense, it will be interesting to see how he develops next to Viramontes from Milwaukee, if Tom had been a switch hitter he would have gone in the first round.

Sea
Grades:
MZY: A+++

Review:
TT: Mzy did well I think overall, of course with 17 picks, you’re bound to hit on a few. Feuerstein looks like a good pick at #17, but I’m not sure how high his ceiling is. His power will never be elite, and ideally I’d like to see his control be a little bit higher at where he’s at right now. With that GB% I think he’ll make for a solid #3 SP at some point. Dingman is fine, I think he’s a better pick than Snell was for LAA a couple picks earlier, he may not hit a ton,but I think he’ll be good enough to justify sticking out at 2B with the great defense he should provide. Sneaky good pick at #63 with Reynolds. Yes, he’s only 79 peak right now, but he’s super young, LHH, and eye way over his overall… he reminds me of my former draftee Carwile (now with MIL) who I took at a similar pick and age. Akehurst, Gold, and Choudhury were all on my list who I think have some upside to them as well. Not a fan of Lavery at #19 however, I just think the defense is not very good, and the bat won’t quite be good enough to make him worth playing at DH either.

MZY: Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice?

Sfg
Grades:
MZY:B-

Review:
TT: Marentis was a guy I was looking at the back of the 2nd round. I saw him as kind of a poor man’s Eric Ivory, and if you look at their draft day vitals, they are very similar. Obviously Ivory was a switch hitter and higher peak on draft day, which is why I called him the poor man’s Ivory. But if he can have a similar trajectory, he could be a solid hitter as far as on-base and average go, but he can’t field or hit for power, so his upside is fairly limited and his ceiling is significantly lower than Ivory. Brown was a nice pickup as well, he’s young, HRs are in check, and vitals seem to be on track….he should contribute in some capacity.

MZY: Considering the picks he had San Fran did very well, Marentis is a nice looking bat with potential speed less lead off potneitla maybe best suited for the 2 hole, however a ship with out a captain may wander the ocean for generations, a hitter with out a postion and no power may do the same.  Brown is a guy that may surprise folks and end up being a solid mid to back end rotation arm.  Pumphrey and Nadron are interesting builds the bats may get them a bench spot one day somewhere.

Stl
Grades:

Review:
TT: I’m not sure what to think of Clear. He doesn’t look like he’ll have elite control or power, but the movement should be off the charts and the HR rates are great. Plus he’ll turn 21 in sim 5. I probably would have gone a different direction at this pick, but you can see the upside, like alot of pitchers in this draft, so I understand the pick. Youngs was way down on my list of SPs, as I just don’t think the control ever gets to the point where he can be a consistent SP...if it does, then GD may have something nice though. Santry looks like Lavery 2.0 to me, as the glove is bad, and I question if the bat will get to the point where you will be OK with DHing him.

MZY: I thought Clear was Clearly one of the better pitchers in this draft.  He will be ready sooner rather than later but he should have a upper end of the rotation arm, maybe not ace level but close.  Youngs was a guy not on my list so im not high on him, may make the back end of the roation one day if all things show up snake eyes.  Santry was a great grab late nice looking bat in the draft would have been a defineate 1st round selection if he could have played even a little OF.

Tex
Grades:

Review:
TT: WP hurt most of the draft day chat when he drafted Clements at #22. I know I was considering him at #23, and would have been pushing to trade back into the 1st to grab him if he fell much farther. He has just about everything you look for in a 2B these days. Elite baserunning vitals with good speed, looks like he’ll be able to play quality defense at 2B (which is where I would keep him), and he’s still only 19 on draft day. Yes his splits aren’t great and he won’t hit too many HRs,but he will have a great eye, which should be enough to take enough advantage of his speed. I liked the Martin pick some too….he’s young, with a power build, but lots of upside still, and his control/power are above his overall.

MZY: Loved love loved Clements, thought he would go later but oh my does he look pretty.  A GM refered to him as a Fingers lite, if that is the case then TExas got an absolute steal at the end of the first.  Martin looks like a solid arm and at 17 you have more room to wait around on him which a team will have to do to see if he will even be serviceable.

Tor
Grades:

Review:
TT: Abonga was my top pitcher this draft, so getting him at #5, and as the 2nd pitcher drafted is a steal for Corey. And Shrout intrigued me as well, as a power build with great amateur stats and a great GB%, I will be curious to see how he develops, because he could really take off in my opinion. SP Baugher is a guy to keep an eye on in the later rounds.

MZY: Abonga might be the best SP in the draft, young great stats and has a very projectable frame arguments will and should be made of him should have being the first pick in the draft if you do go pitcher.  Strout was another young SP with some solid looking upside could be a mid rotation arm.  Monaghea is a good lookin player as well if he hits the right jumps he will play everyday.

Wsh
Grades:

Review:
TT: McLarnon is quite intriguing, and definitely one of those young SP specs with big time upside. It all depends on how well the control develops, because the power/movement will be there. But I like the gamble at #29. I was 2 picks away from drafting Batres….I’m guessing Peter will consider converting him to SP someday, but for now he looks like he could be a solid RP, I’m not sure he will be closer-worthy, but he could be a good set-up guy. Webster, Folsom, and Middlemiss were a few interesting lotto pick RPs I considered as well, and Walter and White (of course Peter had to draft them in that order) each have some things to like about them, and are textbook Peter late round draft picks that will certainly turn into something useful.

MZY: McLarnon and Bates were very good to great picks, both project very well and could end up mid rotation or maybe better arms when all is said and done.  Both are young and talentd watch out for these two guys.  Washington followed up by taking the inverse websters, Evan Webster and Webster Folson, both look to make their marks on the bullpen in the future.  THe rest are not flashy but picks I do like and have some good potential.
Pit GM
'08- Current: Pirates GM Record
'56-'08: Seattle GM Record 4606-3510 .568 win%
'20-'32: San Francisco GM Record 875-1231 .415 win%
'10-'14: Minnesota GM Record 324-324 .500 win%
World Series Champion 2010, 2089, 2092, 2095
American League Champion 2010, 2062, 2089, 2092, 2093, 2095

Best Record Full Year (Regular Season and Playoffs Combined):  131-45 .744 win%
Winner of first ever FCM World Series
done
Houston GM
2060 - present

Playoffs: 20 (Division '68 - '73, '78, '81 -'86, '88, '05-'10)
ALDS Wins: 11 ('68, '70 - '73, '83, '94, '06 - '09)
ALCS Wins: 6 ('71, '73, '83, '06, '08, '09)
2073 WS Champs
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »