• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2082 Draft Review
Ari
Grades:
TT: C-
MZY: C

Review:
TT: 
Not a big fan overall of ARZ’s draft. The first couple of OFs are really similar RH hitting guys that are not very good defenders, with pretty limited offensive upside. Vento has some interesting upside, if he gets a jump, he could be useful at the back of the rotation, but the HRs will be an issue especially in ARZ.

MZY: Not a fan of this draft class for Arizona, a few projectable bats but nothing flashy.  Vedia and Brown are nice looking bats but may not see the field which hurts their value.  Vento would have been a better pick was he not about to turn 22 this month a couple years younger and he would be a very sneaky looking spec.  Ferdilus might be the best pick of the class looks like he could end up being a good power bat, but all in all just meh.

Atl 
Grades:
TT: C+

Review:
TT: 
I don’t love Johnson, with all vitals below his current overall, he will need some good progression to be a good SP. But he has plenty to like in his amateur rates and his GB% is elite, so if his control can get into the 80’s (far from a guarantee with his build), then I think he could be a solid middle of the rotation SP. Schalk was about par for the course for catching specs in this draft, mediocre arm and nothing to write home about on offense, he’s probably destined to be a 2nd or 3rd string catcher. Leeds is a nice lotto, he’s got nice speed and he could end up into the 80’s across his defensive vitals, so a lucky jump could make him useful on the bench.

MZY: Not sure what to make of Johnson, yes the GB rate is amazing, yes he is only 18 years old, but he doesn’t throw very hard, and none of his vitals or pitches are above his overall.  While he could mature nicely and become a solid soft tosser, I fear him more as a batting practice guy.  The Brians are interesting, the first could end up a solid back up catcher in the league the latter could steal a ton of bases, but would be much better off had he ben 2-4 year younger.

Bal
Grades:
TT: A
MZY: A-

Review:
TT: 
I like Turner quite a bit. He’s got the speed you want to see, but he probably is more of a 30SB guy than a true elite stealer that would be in the 45-50 range. He looks alot like Shields in KC, which would be a great pick if he can turn into anything close to that. Romah flew under the radar for me, but once I saw him picked, I almost wished I had taken him the pick before. For a guy with a 30% HR rate, his amatuer HR rate is solid, and like most power builds, it will come down to the control, but he was the best SP left on the board at that pick so well worth a shot on him. Urquidi was the 3rd best RP in this draft, and I even liked some of the later picks like Perry, Koontz, and Kemball. Good value for HH throughout this draft for HH.

MZY: Zach Turner is a great pick at the top of the draft, many were hoping he fell later in the draft but was a good value pick at 11.  Crazy good speed, good contact and eye and great defense if he was a lefty he would have gone Top 5, as is he could be the best all around player out of the draft.  Romah was a good pick at 17 years of age he has room to grow and checks all but one of the boxes I like to see in a amateur SP, he might surprise a few moving down the road.  Urquidi was potentially the best RP who will stay at RP in the draft and Trav Perry was a sneaky good pick, he could develop into a total masher.

Bos
Grades:
TT: A-

Review:
TT: 
I liked Fred’s draft as well. Fitts was my 2nd best SP this draft, so getting him outside the top 5 is a win for him. Yankee is young, and a switch hitter who I think will end up being a solid offensive player capable of playing any OF spot. Thackery has 4th OF written all over him, while the bat will never be very good, he should have a decent eye and good defense in all 3 OF spots.

MZY: People rarlely do as well as Fred did by just staying with the pick they have, but Fred did really well.  Fitts was my favorite SP after Chesty and the main reason I didn’t pick in the top 10 as planned, while the lack of movment is a bit of a concern I think he will end up be a top of the rotation arm with Ace potential.  Yankee was a great pickup in the 2nd a 17yr switch hitter with good defense he was going to go soon Fred did well to hold the line and nab him.  Thackery was a steal in the 3rd people rushing to grab whatever SP were left caused him to fall further then he should have, Dimmick will be an interesting guy to watch as well a little luck you could have  a solid starter out of him.

Chc
Grades:
TT: D

Review:
TT: 
McAllister was the 2nd best 3B in this draft, although that doesn’t say much about him with the quality of IFs in this draft. However he went one pick before the top 3B, so this pick will likely come back to haunt Mav in the future. Holt looks like he’ll be good defensively, but there’s not much upside with the bat, so the bench his his likely future destination. McIlwaine and Trounson are similar except without as much to offer with the glove, but Hix was a decent pick in the 5th, and if he can get lucky, he could end up surprising.

MZY: IM not sold on McAllister, looks to be a good bat but I fear the power will be doubles not home runs and with no defense to speak of I don’t know how much value he will end up being for teams.  He was the benefit of a pre draft jump as well so depending on what his birthday drop is we should have a better idea of how he may turn out.  Holt was a good pick, his defense will make him a starter he will not have a special bat but it will be good enough to keep him employed.  The two SS are ok both probably end up bench guys or starters on rebuilders, Hix may end up being a solid 3B but with his 21st around the corner he will need to hit and the turn and the river to fulfil his potential.

Chw
Grades:
TT: B
MZY: B+

Review:
TT: 
Adams is interesting for sure. He has a solid power build with a good fastball. If he can end up in the 80/90/90 range, he’ll end up an ace or a good #2. Youth is on his side though so I think he gets there. Spencer looks like a future lefty DH with a solid eye. Yakovchuk could be a sleeper pick. He profiles to have a decent bat and be solid at all 3 OF spots.

MZY: I like the pitching Paul Adams, at 17 he has plenty of room to grow with a great fastball and good curve and the power he will have it is going to be interesting, but it all will come down to control and movement and how they develop if well you have a great pitcher on your hands.  Spencer is a good bat if all goes well you may be able to plug him into the 2 hole at watch him table set, the lack of defense however is concerning and will detract from his value in the long run.  Espinosa is a good long term lottery ticket, has some power and at 16 he is a great gamble, might only hit lefties though and the defense problaby wont play.  Yako is a good pick too 17 with some defense and a mildly projectable bat could end up being in the show.

Cin
Grades:
TT: C
MZY: B-

Review:
TT: 
I’ll be interested to see how Moss turns out, but I personally didn’t like him. He’s young, and he’ll be good enough on defense, but his bat won’t be anything special. I think there was a better OF or a couple power bats worth taking a shot on if not going pitcher at this spot. Lorano isn’t going to hit much at all. While the power will look decent, I doubt his contact even gets to 70. And even though he may be able to catch, I just don’t know if you can throw a guy out there that won’t even hit .200. Riddell and Heilbrun were both on my list as later picks, so he could get something out of one of those guys.

MZY: Not a fan of Moss, speed wont be anything of note, he should have a very good eye but the contact may be an issue his defense will be good enough to make him a starter.  Usher was a good pick solid range and a nice projectable bat the only concern is what happens next month on his birthday depending on how he comes through that will depend on how he ends up being.  Lorano is a guy that could be a sneaky good pick, power eye combo solid defense and a predraft dive so he could jump nicely and possible this year. Riddle was a good gamble as well.

Cle
Grades:
TT: B-

Review:
TT: 
CLE benefits from a good 1st round auto for the 2nd time in 3 years. Allanson was a guy I was targeting to move up and grab. The contact is the question with him. His ceiling is McSorley from MIN, and I think he gets awfully close to that level. Bissett is not my type of pitcher. The control and power being so far behind his overall, despite his great GB% and amateur stats, just really makes me doubt if he has a shot of being a useful SP. He may be destined for the pen.

MZY: Allason is a guy most are unsure what to think of, power is massive people are afraid of the contact, it should be ok but the lack of contact against RHP will limit his ability to mash long term but he should be a very good DH.  Bissett isn’t a bad gamble but might have also been the auto no one wanted, he is one of the older SP in the draft and more than likely peaks out soon and hopefully can make it to the roation but might end up in LR.  Out of the rest of the draft Dungey is the only one that looks solid, could see the majors one day.

Col
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
The last 4-5 drafts have been quite heavy on the 1B specs, and Sourley is as good as any of them. He has the great defense build that some hate on, and depending on how my own guy like that turns out (Hopez) I may end up on that bandwagon as well. But the potential of the bat is undeniable.

MZY: If you can only make one pick it better be a good pick, Cad had a very good pick.  Lots of good 1B in the draft Sourley might be the best of the bunch will have a amazing eye for the ball with very good to great power and good contact against those RHP, he is a guy that could end up pushing for an MVP one day.

Det
Grades:
MZY: B

Review:
TT: 
Thomas was being strongly considered for my pick right after this one. He is super young, and looks to have a nice offensive profile with an elite eye, and contact and power above his overall. I think he’ll be a good DH someday. Now this is a rarety: a GB pick that I don’t like. Gidley dropped on his b-day already, and his vitals are all below his overall. That being said, at pick 58 in a weak draft, taking a guy with elite GB% and great HR rates in his HS stats isn’t the worst thing GB could have done.

MZY: Nat was a good grab at the middle end of the round should be a very good bat and with plenty of time for him to develop he should be good.  Gidley is a ok looking SP there are a many of issue with him but he has some time to potentially work it out.

Fla
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Franklin is the exact type of pitcher we all expect to end up in FLA, and he will probably have a great career there, but the control is certainly an issue. If it gets into the 80s, then he’s likely an 80/90+/90+ guy with a great FB and probably the Marlins’ ace for a decade. If not then he may be more of a back of the rotation arm or worse. Not sure I would have had the guts to take the chance on him with #2, but Hokey seems to know how to draft pitching. Smith looks like a lower overall version of Franklin, so same red flags with him. Navaroo is interesting, with some speed and basestealing ability, but not sure the bat gets to a point where he can take full advantage of that, plus his defense is questionable.

MZY: Lot of people did not like the Franklin pick at two but I think he is a good looking pitcher great power two very good pitchers the big question is will happen his birthday in august if he takes too much of a hit moving into the age of 21 then it could spell doom but I think it wont happen.  Smith was one of the better SP taken in the 2nd has a lot of tools that can turn him into a good starter but again a late august birthday could be an issue for his development.  Navroo and Holcom are both good picks ups with good looking bats and some defense to go with it both should see time in the majors at some point.

Hou
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Helguero is a solid pick good vitals and a few good pitches his high GB rate is a huge plus I think given some time we are looking at a good middle of the rotation starter.  Turmelle is a great choice in the second round very good defense and a very nice projectable build great speed very good eye and god contact, we may be looking at a good top of the lineup starter with a good career.  Torballa has a short window but with a solid looking build he could turn out well with a few lucky jumps.

Kcr
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
This would have been a draft to do the opposite of what Mike did here. I would have been trading later picks together to move up rather than trade earlier picks for more later. It looks to me like he got a whole lot of quantity, but the quality is lacking imo. Hayagawa looks to have a nice bat, but defensively I doubt many teams would be comfortable with him behind the plate. Katzen and Wright are a couple of switch hitters with questionable defense. King looks like a nice lotto pick, as a young lefty power bat, he was a guy I was looking to grab later in the draft. And Aicon and Clifton have decent starting builds and could end up useful someday.

MZY: Its tough to make a good draft out of trading down and adding picks, but KC managed a solid draft doing just that. Hayagawa is a solid spec, might advance enough to stick at catcher and his power eye build looks like he should be a good player.  Katzen would be better off if he could field but the bat looks solid and as a switch hitter he should find time to play in the majors.  Wright reminds me of Snell from last year, with a good jump you have an immediate player to start in the majors.  Kings is a power eye build at 1B if his contact gets into the 70s then he should be pretty good.  Aicon and Clifton are solid picks and nice projectable arms that could turn into useable pieces.

Laa
Grades:
TT: B+

Review:
TT: 
Saddler projects to have a solid bat and can play all 3 OF spots, maybe more of a 4th OF on a contender, but he will be useful. I liked Cook, as a switch hitter and will be solid defender. Also a fan of Potts’ build, and he looks like he could be a solid #5 or longman someday.

MZY:  OWM did well to pick up some nice projectable guys, Saddler looks like a very good bat and good defender could slot into the top of the lineup if all goes well.  He follows that pick up with another good OF in Cook if that speed uptakes a bit he could be a top of the lineup bat as well you have the potential to see both Saddler and Cook setting the table for LA for years to come.  Potts is a solid looking SP good GB but a lack of power and a question about the movement could be an issue, but if all goes well he could end up at the back end of the rotation.

Lad
Grades:
MZY: C+

Review:
TT: 
Sargent is a guy that is high-risk high-reward. I don’t think 86 is high enough overall for him to be good, as that would likely get his movement only into the mid 80s, with his other vitals in the low 80s. If he gets to 91 or 92 he might be a steal at #19, so his value really depends on if he can jump and how much of a HR problem he has as a major leaguer. Johnston has a good GB% but he has shown to have issues with HR as well, and all vitals below his overall isn’t a good sign either. Yoshiwara has a nice build to start with. I see him as a 4th OF floor with some speed, but potential to be a starter if he can get a jump or two. Tucker and Webb were great lefty power bats with great eye to take a shot on in the 3rd round.

MZY: Sargent is a guy I want to like but I just cant, the lack of more than one pitch is an issue the power control combo can work well but not sure, if the movement can stay caught up he should be pretty good if not he will be a back end starter.  Johsnons problem is his age, he will be 22 going into next year, has a good GB rate and good fastball and solid vitals but a lot of concerns.  Yoshiwara is a good pick very good range and a nice projectable bat.

Mil
Grades:
MZY: A

Review:
TT: 
Obviously Chesty was the the best player in the draft, and that seemed to be the consensus around the league. He’s got everything you look for in an Ace. Van Buren at 9 was quite an interesting pick. The plan for Jmaine is to convert him to a SP eventually, but how he develops early on will certainly factor in to that decision. Although with MIL’s minor league depth, it may be very tempting to let him turn into a legit closer at the back of his future contending teams. Bullocks got alarmingly high amateur HR rates, but good GB% and the fact that he just turned 17 gives some hope that he can turn that around enough to be an effective SP. Tanaka, Wooddisse, and Worden were are targets of mine later in the draft.

MZY: When you go all pitchers in a draft, basically, including two in the top 10 you need to hit, Milwaukee did that.  Taylor was the hands down the best pitcher in the draft and a no doubt pick at number 1, he will need a little bit of time to develop but when he does he shoudlnt disappoint.  Trading back into the top 10 to get Van Buren may turn out to be a great move if he can be turned into a SP as the plan is believed to be, however if that fails one better hope it doesn’t fuck up his development but if it goes well you could see a dymnamic 1 2 combo come out of the same draft.  Bullock the next guy taken is a guy that if you look just at vitals looks good, but if you are inclined and look closer he has the worse pitching stats I have every seen in an amateur averaging between 2-3 hits given up per inning pitched plus about a walk an inning.  The rest of the pitchers are projectable but not bankable. 

Min
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
A 1st round comp pick and a couple 6ths were all MIN had to work with in this draft after the Giraldo trade, but I like the bat on Merwitz. I would plan on him being a platoon bat however, especially considering that he doesn’t bring anything special to the table defensively.

MZY: Merwitz is the only pick of merit that was picked by Minny, his development will be very closely tracked it will be interesting to see how he develops, but early projections show a guy that can potentially be a good OF and maybe be slotted into the 2 hole.

Mon
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Serrano is a guy I liked. While he won’t steal 50 bags, he should be good for 20 per season, and he has great splits which will make that great contact vital that much more valuable to his overall build. Not as big on Seibert. The build doesn’t look like a great start, as the movement is lagging

MZY: Really like the Montreal draft, Serrano is a guy that if he gets a jump could be a pure leadoff bat like we have not seen in a while.  Might end up in LF due to his defense but the bat could be something special.  Seibert is a guy many might kick themselves for not taking before 49, I personally had him penciled in for my next pick he is young and has some nice looking vitals and pitches given the time he could be a steal out of this draft.  Backhouse and Bishop are also nice looking projectable pitchers with Backhouse being the one to watch out of the two.

Nym
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Teutsch was going to be my pick at #23. He’s young and has a nice starting build and reminds me of my own pick 6 seasons ago of Robert Norway. Harvin also has quite a bit to like, and if the control gets a bump as he progresses, he could be a nice rotation piece.

MZY: Teutch was a surprise reach in my mind, he is a pitcher I really like but thought he was more of an early 2nd round selection.  He has a high GB rate and good vitals and two good pitches, the lack of a good fastball is the only conern we have with him.  He went with a nearly identical pitcher next with Harvin who I like as well and who has a good fastball, not as good a track record as Teutsch but could be a back end of the rotation starter.  Lacome was a great grab in the 4th round of this particular draft, you are looking at a guy that could end up a good setup man in the bigs.

Nyy
Grades:
MZY: C-

Review:
TT: 
The glut of 1B in this draft probably played into NYY hands in the 1st round, as Miles and Smith both fell to the Yanks at #28, I don't hate Miles, I think he'll be a solid power hitting 1B, but Smith would have been the better pick. He was my 6th or 7th favorite 1B in this draft, but that says more about the strength of the position this draft than the quality of spec Miles is. Revers is a future backup at best, and Aspeitia has some things to like, although the elite arm and range might be negated by the below average fielding.

MZY:  Not a fan of Miles, there were a lot of good 1B in this draft I did not think Miles was one of them, he may have been better selecting 1B Smith who was still on the board at this point.  I may be wrong but I think he become at best an ok bench bat.  Reyers could end up a backup catcher with an ok bat against LHP but the lack of arm means most wont want him catching their pitchers. Aspeitia might be the best pick of the bunch in the early 5th should have solid to good speed and a good bat with good defense could end up a starter.

Oak
Grades:
TT: C-

Review:
TT: 
Not a huge fan of Smith. I don’t think it was a wasted pick by any stretch, but for my top 3 pick, I’m looking for a guy I know is going to hit for average and power, and I think Smith is more of a boom or bust type of hitter. Plus he’s going to have to play LF with that noodle arm. Vasquec is a bizarre build imo. 20% GB% is as low as I’ve seen in mogul, then he’s got his power so far above his overall and control/movement, plus his FB is dominant. So I have no idea what to make of him. My best guess would be his vitals looking like 80/95/80 at best which I can’t remember seeing a pitcher with vitals like that, so I don’t think he will be successful, but really I have no idea. And his 3rd round pick Martin is similar.

MZY: Nick Smith should be a very good CF, great even if the contact can improve somehow.  Not sure if he will be a GG CF but he might and if the bat comes along right the power eye and decent contact will make him a fearful player.  Vasquec has monster power and could end up a dominant pitcher but the lack of secondary pitches and with some concern about his movement he is a wait and see canidate.  Jim Martin, once again a guy Doug grabs right before I was going to, I really like Martin and think he ends up a steal in this draft and has potential of a mid rotation starter.

Phi
Grades:
TT: C+

Review:
TT: 
MM’s first draft in FCM could have been better, but he got some value out of it. Capitanio is likely to be limited to a DH role, he should be a fine hitter, but without an elite eye or any value on defense, he is basically relying on the contact/power to reach a level that makes him valuable at DH, but at least he won’t have to platoon him. Ortega has some upside however. Looks like he’ll have the great eye, and a chance to be a solid power hitter from the right side, although he also appears to be a DH type. I also like Offerman, it wouldn’t take a whole lot of development for him to turn into a useful RP.

MZY: Not a fan of Capitanio he doesn’t have anything that stands out and without any defense I have a hard time seeing where he fits in a lineup, hopefully im wrong but I don’t see it.  Ortega is a guy that would have gone at 12 had he not had his 7 point birthday drop, but at 18 he has plenty of time to catch back up and the power eye combo with solid contact should get him into a lineup. Danduro is a projectable pitcher who could see the back end of a rotation one day.

Pit
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Gilly went pitcher heavy this year. Ricardez was the 2nd best RP in this one. I liked him as a true RP, as I’m not sure there’s a great chance he end up getting converted. He looks like he could be a good closer for most teams, but he’s so young, and with the possibility of getting converted to SP, it’s way too soon to pass any real judgement on this pick. Kimiyama and Hess were a couple guys I had interest in at my 2nd round pick. I like Hess a bit more, but they each have a solid starting build and could end up being solid power SP.

MZY: Another GM that goes all pitching, and another one that takes a RP to convert to a SP.  At 16 Ricardez has plenty of room to grow into a starter and is farther along to do so then Van Buren, if all goes right you are looking at a potential top of the rotation talent but there is always that question when you convert.  Kimiyama, not the guy I would have used for a comp selection, nothing stands out to me on him could turn inot a mid rotation starter, but I feel he may have a hard time even cracking the rotation.  Hess and Skladny are both guys that are nice projectable pitchers both seem like they could find their way inot the mid back end of the rotation.

Sdp
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Only 2 picks for the Friars this draft. I liked Albertin. He went a little earlier than I expected, but far from a reach for sure. Reece was one of the few catchers this draft that actually looks like he can stick back there. While he won’t have an elite arm, the other defensive vitals are great, and he should provide some power/eye and his splits aren’t too bad either.

MZY: Matty does well to find talent in the draft, just don’t tell him I said that.  Albertin is a good looking pitcher two good pitches good GB rate and solid vitals with a good resume to this point in his career I think he could be a mid rotation starter maybe higher.  In yet another weak catchers draft Reece was one of the better ones, should actually stay at catcher with good power and eye, if the contact can migrate north of 70 he should be a solid everyday guy.

Sfg
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Wold’s got big time power potential, and added value with some positional flexibility (although he’s not winning any gold gloves at those secondary spots). I think the contact will get into the mid to upper 70s, but the eye will hold him back some and makes his power bat less valuable overall. Actually surprised he went Wold before Adams, as Adams looks more likely to be an everyday productive OF. While he will likely offer less power, he will have better on-base skills and some speed to pick up some SBs for the Gigantes. Vogel intrigued me, but he went earlier than I expected. Not often we see a 73 peak spec go #91 overall. I viewed him as a bullpen piece ultimately, If the endurance should drop some, and the control will be there, so a little extra movement would make him a useful MR option.

MZY: I don’t like Wold, amazing power but no contact or eye, should stick to the OF as a LF but not sure the rest of the offensive makeup causes him to be the start San Fran hopes.  Adams should be a well rounded players, with sneaky speed good power and a great eye, if his contact climbs well he could be an allstart bat, the question is where is he placed, not good enough for the field and not the typical DH type.  Calvin got his big jump in ST, question of it how much of it sticks, if he had a big drop at his birthday you got a potential lead weight, if its minimal you should get a good bat out of him.  Vogel was a guy I had pegged if I retained a late 5th or early 6th so to see him go so early was a certain shock, while it might work out it was not the gamble many might take.

Sea
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Shimizu was getting comparisons to DET’s Minoru, and that’s probably a fair comparison. I see him being a notch below Minoru offensively, however, but defensively he’ll provide plenty of value at 2B or 3B. Aeosta is a tough one. He has the killer FB, but the control and movement might be too far behind the power for him to be as effective as Mzy hopes he can be. Trodden on the other hand is interesting, and a decision will have to be made relatively soon on whether or not to groom him as a SP or let him stick in the bullpen at a MR. Velis reminds me of my own former 3rd rounder Vasquaz, similar in build at least, we’ll see if he can turn around that chart to climb, and he could be really solid at 1B. I had my eye on Barraclough as well, could be a back of the roto type of guy.

MZY: If you are trading out of the Top 10 in a draft you better know what you are doing, we are not sure Seattle did.  Shimizu may end up being a great grab at the end of the 1st but he could also have been a massive reach, the defense is there if the bat follow you could like what you see.  Aeosta might be sneaky good, he already jumped this year and when he did his movement moved more then the rest of him, if that continues mlb ready fastball and good chaneup he will find his way into a rotation.  Trodden and Barracough have some upside but a lot of questions as well, Veils and Teitz are nice project, though the fact that Veils was still in high school at 20 is alarming. 

Stl
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
GD got some power this draft that’s for sure. Giles was my 2nd favorite 1B, behind Sourley, but really they could be 1A and 1B, as they are very similar. De’Shaw has some pop from the left side as well, but is a few years farther away, so he could grow into another nice 1B pick from this draft. I really liked Lefler at #76, and if he can get a lucky jump or two, he could be a steal from the 3rd round.

MZY: GD grabbed two of the better bats in the draft, Giles could be the best bat we see out of this draft, while he will nab Trewitt comparisons which may or may not be fair we shall see how he does.  Smith was a very good selection as well pure DH but could be very good.  Lefler was a good pick as well could end up in a mid rotation spot if all goes well in his development.  Olevileous is an interesting player with a very small window but if he can squeeze through you may have a starting SS on your hands. 

Tex
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
A really solid draft for the Rangers. Sotelo has alot to like about him, especially as a switch hitter with both contact and power at or above his overall. Tomblin was another guy I had on my radar. He looks like he will hit for some power, and have a great eye. He’ll likely be destined for  LF, but he could also be a 20-30 SB guy. I was too slow to make a trade up, but I wish I had for Velasquiz. Despite being LH, he looks like he could end up with a really nice build overall, and could be a middle of the rotation guy for Texas. Even Longenecker and Waters were guys I was considering at my next pick about 15 spots after they went, and could each be useful depth or #5 types for WP in the future.

MZY:  A switch hitting power 1B, sounds great doesn’t it.  He should be, in a draft of 1B he was one that stood out now how the top three rank will be a fun debate but Sotelo will be in the thick of it, give him a few years and he should crack the middle of a lineup.  Oh look another switch hitter, its like someone heard Andy saying stop letting me draft these guys.  Tomblin should be pretty good the low contact might end up being an issue as could the lack of defense but we shall see.  Follow that up with three good pitching choices in a row and you have a very nice draft on your hands, all three have rotation potential none will be an Ace but all could fall anywhere after that.

Tor
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Russo was getting mixed reviews after the draft, but I liked him. I’m confident the vitals will be there when he gets near his peak, the big question is whether or not he will have a HR problem in the bigs. I actually think he looks like a future Marlin, but what do I know. Elmer probably fits better as a backup catcher, but he could find himself as a starter if the bat can come around some. Chambless and Mateer both look like future SR/MR options, and were guys that I had my eye on as well.

MZY:  Russo will be another hotly debated SP from this draft, but I like him and would have taken him at 9 had the pick not been dealt.  Big time control and power, if the movement can stay close you have a potential Ace on your hands.  Elmer was my favorite catcher in the draft good contact power eye guy if his arm can get a little better you could be seing a Allstar Catcher.  Chambless and Mateer are too RP you may have wanted to draft, while their window is hard to picture if it fits in the intended frame then you got two spots in your bullpen nailed down.

Wsh
Grades:
MZY:  B-

Review:
TT: 
Reynolds looks like the type of guy I would have take at the back at the 1st round. Look alot like Preston Franklin did when he was drafted. For once it’s not the control that is the question, it will be whether the movement can catch up to the control. If it does, then Peter has himself a top of the rotation arm, if not then he will end up as a #4/5/LR. I was considering Steward at the pick right after WAS took him. I worried a bit about HRs and the fact that he is about to be 22 and is only 55 ovr right now, so who knows what this next b-day will look like. But ultimately this draft was full of question marks by this point, so not a bad gamble here. I want to be the first to say that I fully expect Templin to jump and be flipped for a 1st or 2nd round pick in about 4 seasons. I was going to take him at the next pick #124, but Peter grabbed him. He is exactly the kind of guy he could make a living out of drafting in the 4th-6th rounds in FCM.

MZY: Not sure what to make of Reynols, I was not a huge fan but I see the potential, again a birthday next sim will speak volumes as to where he could develop into, the silver lining is an early birthday mean he could jump this season still if that happens we will know soon whether it is Champaign or tears in Washington.  Steward falls into the same problem as Reynolds so we shall see with him as well.  Haddington could end up a back up catcher if all goes well and Williams sems like a typical Pete draft low sell high canidate, as does the next three he drafted as well.

Pit GM
'08- Current: Pirates GM Record
'56-'08: Seattle GM Record 4606-3510 .568 win%
'20-'32: San Francisco GM Record 875-1231 .415 win%
'10-'14: Minnesota GM Record 324-324 .500 win%
World Series Champion 2010, 2089, 2092, 2095
American League Champion 2010, 2062, 2089, 2092, 2093, 2095

Best Record Full Year (Regular Season and Playoffs Combined):  131-45 .744 win%
Winner of first ever FCM World Series
All done
Houston GM
2060 - present

Playoffs: 20 (Division '68 - '73, '78, '81 -'86, '88, '05-'10)
ALDS Wins: 11 ('68, '70 - '73, '83, '94, '06 - '09)
ALCS Wins: 6 ('71, '73, '83, '06, '08, '09)
2073 WS Champs
Interestingly enough Offerman isn't a guy Philly drafted, I drafted Brimacombe instead.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »