• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2084 Draft Review
Ari
Grades:
TT: B
MZY: B+

Review:
TT: 
Not a big fan of Collopy as a 3B as I don’t think the bat will make him worth the less than stellar defense, but he could be useful at 1B or DH. As a righty, his value would be decreased at those spots, but his splits aren’t terrible and the power/on-base skills should be pretty solid.

MZY:  Hard to do amazing when you only have three picks, but Arizona did well with just the three.  Collopy may not stick at 3B as he progresses due to the defense but the bat should play very nicely, your looking at the prototypical Power Eye combo he will have a huge eye and a good amount of power, the thing that is most interesting is his contact is only one under his overall against RHP, if that hold he should be a very big bat.  Nieman is an interesting pick, at worse you are looking at a good backup catcher with power, at best you could get a good starter.  Butker is a SP if he was 3-4 year younger would have been a 1st round pick but at his advanced draft age he fell into the 6th round.  But if he can hit on the turn and the river you are looking at a solid pitcher might be best suited for a switch to RP and give him that longer development time.

Atl
Grades:
TT: C+
MZY: B

Review:
TT: 
Welch was Stang’s pick after some confusion on draft day, and if he had 85+ arm projected he could have profiled as a better than average catcher, but without that he is likely destined to being an average or worse hitting 1B/DH. Beckett could be interesting with a jump into the mid 80s or better.

MZY: Its tough to draft well from the bottom of the round in a weak draft, but Atlanta did ok.  Cole is only 18 so you have plenty of time to let his arm develop hopefully to make him an everyday catcher.  The problem might be the lack of an eye, if he was a power eye combo then you are very happy but the contact eye combos do not have the same track record, he could end up at 1B depending on how things play out.  Sean Beckett is another guy if he was 3-4 years young is a 1st round pick, but at 21 he hasn’t jumped yet so that is a good thing, if he gets a big enough jump you are looking at a steal pick.  Reavis is a good pick as well, anytime you can take a switch hitter who can field and is 18 you do so.  People will more than likely kick themselves for not grabbing him when they could, while he isn’t going to be a world beater, a solid everyday 2B with an average bat and good eye will find a way to play.

Bal
Grades:
TT: A-
MZY:  B+

Review:
TT: 
Plenty has been said about Kifer’s particular type of build over the couple of 24 seasons of FCM I’ve experienced, and it usually comes down to boom or bust. Rarely do they turn out average, It’s usually an MVP caliber bat like Recendez or a below average hitter like Chervony (HOU) or Ford (TOR) or one of the many other examples. If he hits his potential he’ll be great otherwise it will be a wasted pick. All that said, it was a good pick. I like Wellwood as a RP to watch, and I also like the shots BAL took on some of the later SPs as well, many look to have good starting builds with a chance to help the rotation in the future.

MZY: Baltimore got maybe the best bat in the draft bar none.  For Kifer to have that skill set at 16 it is hard to not drool over him, should get good to very good contact great eye and big time power and should be a monster in RF.  If you were not looking at and Ace at the top of the draft Kifer would have easily gone #1 overall.  Baltimore then went with pitchers the rest of the way out none of which have appeared to jump yet so you have a mixed bag there, first that is good it means that one or two could be a diamond in the rough, but also without seeing their drops we are unsure how they will pan out.  Wellwood, Quinn and Nolan all appear to be solid enough in their own rights but im just not enthralled by any of them and im not confident they will pan out.

Bos
Grades:
MZY:  B

Review:
TT: 
I’m a fan of Tinker, and think he has a future as a top tier 3B that can hit for some contact, plenty of power, and get on-base. The defense will be just fine over there as well. Isambero looks like a solid lefty bat that can play all 3 OF spots, so he should be at least a 4th OF and maybe startable with some good development.

MZY:  Had a tough time grading these picks.  While you cannot deny the bat of Tinker the fielding is an issue and you need to rely on the fact the bat turns into a Priestly type bat to make up for the  potential failings on the other side of the diamond.  That being said the bat looks very good he is a HR power guy not a double guy so regardless of where he plays he will produce.  Isambero is a bat you want to love great eye solid contact and power and weird speed, however with a birthday coming up the value he holds is depend on what that birthday brings.  Coffee is a solid SS build probably ends up a bench guy but not a terrible thing to have.  I am of the opinion that both Roth and the man with the TanCock need to be turned into RP where they may be able to excel.

Chc
Grades:
TT: C
MZY: A-

Review:
TT: 
Marriot is intriguing due to the high movement, but the power/control lagging so far behind the overall is concerning. My first thought is that with 27 points of upside and only about to turn 18, he could grow into a 75/70/90+ type of RP which would be useful at the back of a bullpen, but it will all depend on how that control develops. Meltzer is a DH that probably won’t hit righties enough to start full time. Britt is also defensively challenged, but his good splits gives him a chance to be a decent hitter if it all comes together.

MZY:  I like the direction that the Cubs went in their draft this year.  In a draft that was not well suited for most they did well to take a chance on guys that have been build that have worked in the past.  Marriots vitals are interesting and a bit scary, in a bad way, but at 17 he has plenty of time to do something special, a good WB and the right progression and you make have a very good RP on your hands.  The next four picks go to Power/Eye RH bats none of which scream pick me but all of which are very projectable with 3 of them being only 19, even if only one hits considering the draft they are all good picks, even in the last round you take two power/eye bats that are a bit older, I mean if Peter can do it every year why not someone else for a chance.

Chw
Grades:
TT: B-
MZY: C

Review:
TT: 
Cappazerra won’t be able to play behind the plate so that makes him a 1B/DH, and at #11 overall, there were probably better options for a pure hitter that can play a capable 1B/DH. Donnelly is pretty much a clone of Collopy, just a lot younger, so I actually prefer this pick over Collopy for being taken near each other -- if you are taking mediocre defender, may as well take the one with more time to grow as a hitter.

MZY:  While the draft was mediocre at best these picks are hard to swallow, im going to assume/hope they were Autoed.  While I could easily crap all over these picks I will not there is some light at the end of the tunnel.  All players selected were 20 or younger, most being younger and all have projectable bats with power being the focus.  When you look at the young and budding White Sox roster adding even more power to that franchise isn’t a bad thing, worse comes to worse as they mature they become trade bait for other organizations.

Cin
Grades:
MZY: C+

Review:
TT: 
Not a fan of Dixon at all. The control and power are so far behind his overall, and I doubt his fastball will break the low 70s and splitter the upper 60s. His HR rate and GB% are really solid, but that’s the only thing that gives him a chance at being a back of the rotation arm. Allen looks like a solid 4th OF, and Little could be a useful bat to platoon against LHP someday.

MZY:  Dixon is a SP that most people really like with a big GB rate and great track record, but he is 21 turning 22 in September and his vitals are all below his overall and his movement is looking to outpace his control and power by leaps and bounds, add that to his best pitch is a circle change one point ahead of his overall not sure what type of pitcher he will end up being.  If he can reach the 80’s for control he will be an ok pitcher, but I don’t think as good as Theo hoeps.  Allen and Little are projectable players but nothing to drool over.  McLeod is a guy you turn into a RP and hope he gets the right jumps to become useful.

Cle
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
No firsts for CLE this season, but some quality in the 2nd round and later. I liked Davila, and thought that he could have gone sooner given the overall quality of this draft, and Battle was a guy I had targeted with my 2nd pick and looks like back of the rotation arm with potential for more with some luck. Atcheson should be a solid 2B option. MacLeverty looks interesting as well, as a power build with good pitches to work with and he already jumped during sim 5 it appears. Strawson was another one who should have been picked well before he was.

MZY: I like what Cleveland did in this draft, the picks they made were surgically selected in a draft that is considered to be weak.  Davilia is a good looking RP, the concern we have is the June birthday, if his drop is minimal and he jumps this season he could end up real good.  Battle was  a great pick already aged only dropped 2 points and is primed for a nice jump this season he is the one that got away for a number of GMs in this draft who did not do their due diligence.  Strawson later in the draft also looks like a guy that could be better then many think as he also dropped early and only 3 points.  The SS and LF have some projectable vitals and both could turn out to be useful additions to a squad in the furture.

Col
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Cad’s lone pick was Badman who is an interesting bat but there were some much more interesting players at #10 overall. If he was an elite defender or baserunner, then this could have been a good pick, but with his profile, I think he would have been a better pick in the 20-30 range.

MZY: If you are only gonna take one dude in a draft you better make sure it’s a Badman, Colorado did just that.  Dennis Badman was born in 2064 to an immigrant family in Long Beach California, his up brining was nothing special until he got on that field one faithful afternoon.  It was a hot day for an April….ok enough of that.  He is a good looking young lefty bat, should be able to stick in CF will have a great eye good power and a bit of speed as well, if his contact can get above 80 he might end up being a dangerous player.

Det
Grades:
TT: A
MZY: A

Review:
TT: 
Crofoot was a top 5 talent on my list, so for GB to get him at 6 is a win for him. His draft day build reminds me alot of Javy Ramirez, the amatuer stats aren’t quite as good, he’s a year younger, but everything else looks very similar, so Ace is his potential, and I feel confident in saying that he should get quite close to that unless something goes wrong.

MZY:  If you have only one pick you need to make it could, Detroit traded up to do just that.  Crofoot is the second best SP in the draft in my books, he is 17 has good control and power and his movement should catch up and surpass them both, he has Ace written all over him.  Detroit was very shrewd to move up and take him it will pay off very well in the end.

Fla
Grades:
TT:
MZY: A-

Review:
TT: 
I really like Keown, and I think he ends up as an 80/95 hitter with eye well into the 90s. Should be good enough for a 35+ HR DH that should put up .900+ OPS regularly. Hampton was a guy that I initially overlooked due to his poor HR rates in 3 out of 4 amateur years, but his vitals should end up quite solid, and in that ballpark, Hokey will get the most out of those vitals no doubt. Lee was a guy I was targeting, but Hokey took him before I had a chance to be a quality depth option, but with the elite defense vitals, he could end up a starting 3B with some offensive development.

MZY: Keown is a very nice looking young bat, at 17 he has plenty of time to grow into a guy with tremendous power and great eye, he will hit a lot of homers and take a lot of walks.  He will probably end up being one of the best hitters out of this draft class.  Im a little bullish on Hampton, but with a small birthday drop and a nice combination of vitals and pitches he should, with time, end up being a middle of the rotation arm, maybe better.  Aguirre is interesting he had a minor drop at his birthday and projects to be a nice bat, as a switch hitter if he progresses well he will finda  place to paly.  Milner loks to be a solid catcher when all is said and done, and Lee and Arthur have bats that if are treated well could see the majors in some fashion.

Hou
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY:  Not sure how Brinker fell that far to be honest, good defense some speed and a good eye, should develop good contact a touch of power, there is concern he could end up like McWhirk in the end but we feel he should fair better than that.  Benfield is a projectable powe/eye bat he hasn’t shown the power you hope to see as of yet which could be why he fell to where he did, but given time he could mature into a very nice bat.  MacNiven and Durr are both solid pitching specs nothing fantastic but both should stick around and make a play for the bigs.

Kcr
Grades:
TT: B+

Review:
TT: 
Kean was the 1st round pick at #21 overall for Canadian Mike, and he looks like he could be a pretty potent bat. He’s a switch hitter and looks like he could end up with 85 contact/90 power from both sides with his eye much higher than that, if it all breaks right for him. Unfortunately, it will be as a DH or maybe 1B, but he could be a nice bat. I like the pick of Walker as well. Only 18 with nice starting vitals, high GB%, and no major red flags in his amateur stats. And of course drafting the Immortal Iron Fist doesn’t hurt either.

MZY: I want to love Kean but for some reason I just cant, I think it is due to the disappearing power.  I just get this feeling we are looking at a Contact/Eye guy not a Power/Eye guy, he is a switch hitter so that is a bonus but as a DH guy if he is C/E and not P/E that diminishes his value.  Walker, Verity and Rand are high GB pitchers all 19 or younger which is a good gamble to take, not sure any of them come out as more then RP or back end starers but they are good guys to gamble on.  Worm has already jumped and peaked this year so you at least know what you get there might turn inot a good bench bat.

Laa
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Only 3 later picks for the Angels, but Brookshire is an interesting arm. His movement and control may be too far behind his power to catch up and reach his potential, but it’s nice gamble in the 3rd. Brim and Wilde also look interesting, and if they can make it into the low 80’s overall they may be useful arms in the pen or back of the rotation.

MZY: Not a lot of picks and most of them are big gambles with about the same chance of any of us hitting the Mega Millions.  Brookshire is the best looking of the bunch and was the top choice in the LAA selecitons, he has an august birthday so that will determine where he ends up there are a few things to like with him but my conern is the control will lag to much and the movement wont make enough of a difference to leave him serviouslable.

Lad
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
5 picks in the first 72 for the Dodgers, and 12 total picks. Cofield looks like he was picked to early. I just don’t see much upside for him. He can’t play good enough defense to play catcher, and he won’t hit enough to be a DH/1B. I did like Verbeck, and as a lefty he should hit plenty and the defense should play just fine at 2B or 3B. Stork was the token low overall speed guy that is in every draft and usually goes in the back of the 2nd/early 3rd, so no surprise here, although he’s going to have to hit his jumps to be a good enough hitter to take advantage of his speed. Also surprised Brown lasted as long as he did. He doesn’t look like an elite RP, but should be solid for a decade or so as a short reliever.

MZY:  Cofiled can we just change his name now to ?  I don’t know what to make of him to be honest, will he hit for average? Power? Will he catch? DH? 1B?  The Jeckyll and Hyde numbers the 4 years he has played in amateur give little to no indication as well.  I would have stayed away from him personally it will be interesting how it plays out int eh end with him.  Verbeck is a solid looking 2B, should play defense well and may even hit pretty well I think he is the best pick the Dodgers made.  I like Stork a lot as well while he mistakenly took him early I don’t think that will hurt him in the end, the pitchers are mostly older and gonna age this season while some project ok I don’t think this will be a class that wins many games in LA.

Mil
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Solid draft for MIL. Wilner was one of the top 2 RP on my board and could be a candidate to convert to SP although I would probably lean to towards keeping him in the pen unless he has an unexpected development. Walker was also a solid pick, as he looks like he’ll be more of a power hitting 2B with a bit of speed, but should be able to play good enough defense to be worth starting. Jmaine went with alot of speed this draft, and Dokken and Caldrone fit into that, although with suspect defense, it remains to be seen if they can develop into quality players. Cure was a sneaky good pick and looks like he could be a solid hitter if he gets a jump.

MZY: If you are gonna only beat one drum beat it hard.  I like the RP Wilner if the control power continue to be the dominating vitals and movement increase as it should you may have a good closer on your hands hopefully that is the plan I think a switch to SP would be a bad idea, now about that drum.  Does anyone thing Jmaine has a thing for speed, if you didn’t you do now, every bat taken was for speed and in a draft like this you take your chances where they could pay off, with most going for htose Power/Eye guys Jmaine took every speedster that he could.  Many may shit the bed but for the few of these guys that don’t and end up like Vrooman the smarter he may look.

Min
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Only 2 picks for MIN, but they were good in my opinion. Soltanovich was going to be my pick at #29 until he went at this spot. I really like everything about him. The only worry is if the movement doesn’t catch up to the power. Arredondo has a chance to be a useful RP someday, but will need some improvement on his control/power to end up more than a MR.

MZY: Solt looks to be a very good SP so why did he make it so far into the draft, was it luck? Was it fear? Were their better players out there, no one will know.  The vitals and stats look very very good that control and power combo with movement expected to make some stride should make a very good pitcher, however.  He has a mid September birthday so he has a short window to jump this season then you need to pray he doesn’t flatline at his birthday.  Masc does the unthinkable and drafts the first ever female baseball players Margo Arrendo, she projects to be a solid RP with good control and movement and only 17 years old, given the right jumps she should find her way into a bullpen in a few years.

Mon
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
I liked Brodie in this draft at the back of the 1st round. He looks like he’ll hit for enough average and decent power. The eye should be pretty decent as well. I was hoping to take Devincenzi. I think he’s got set-up potential or maybe more with a jump.

MZY:  Brodie is a nice looking bat, will hit very well for average and will have some power mixed in their too, in a weak draft it is a good pick this late in the 1st round.  Cliff is a guy that fell due to an impending birthday which could destroy him, but if he gets through unscathed and manages a jump before seasons end then he should be a good RP for MOnreal in a few years.  Worm is a nice projectable lefty bat and a good grab in the early 4t,
yes im aware that was actually a 3rd round pick falling into the 4th due to comp fA.

Nym
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
I really liked Basurto. Switch hitter, projects to have good contact and power with a good, not great eye. With a good arm, he should be good enough to play RF or LF. Dantana was also a nice pick in the back of the 2nd. We’ll see if the defense can prove passable at 3B, he could be a nice player.

MZY: Im shocked Basturo fell this far to be honest, he had a 1 point birthday drop he is a switch hitting OF who should be able to stich to RF he will have a good to great eye and power and contact this is the hitter I think too many slept on due to his age in this overall draft he should have gone a lot earlier.  The following three bats all “play” 3B and have some merit but are nothing special they may end up riding their power to the bigs but at best as a bench piece.

Nyy
Grades:
MZY:  B

Review:
TT: 
Powell was a popular target towards the end of the 1st round, and for good reason. He’s got a great starting build, and looks like he could be an effective power build with an elite fastball in his repertoire. One downside is the GB% being so low, as those types rarely turn into great SP, but it could be a case where it may bump up a bit as he develops. Jones doesn’t look like much of a prospect in my opinion. Sure he looks like he may be able to play 3B, but the bat doesn’t project to be anything worth starting at any position. The one thing he has going for him is his age so maybe the bat comes along a bit better.

MZY:  Im not sold on Powell, he has a lot of things to like but im just not sure he is the complete package.  Big power solid control ok movement, I think he makes the majors as a mid rotation starters so not a loss by any means but I jus tdont think he will do what is hoped of him.  Jones is a power guy with low contact, the hope is due to him only being 17 that he can rebound and grow into a very nice bat, but we are concnerned that may not be the case.

Oak
Grades:
MZY: B-

Review:
TT: 
Meeligan looks interesting as a lefty power build, and it looks like the control has a chance to get near 80. The amateur stats look solid as well, but he did jump already this season. Grove looks like a future backup IF, but the defense should give him some good value off the bench. I really like the pick of Fingbres in the 3rd. The contact and eye are well above his overall, so if he can get a decent jump he could end up a steal from this draft.

MZY:  Welch, im not a fan he wont stick at catcher more than likely so if he projects as a DH then I feel there may have been better options available.  That being said his power numbers have remained consistent so if that continues you could have a solid power bat on your hands so all is not lost.  I wanna love Grove but his age and advanced vitals are a concern he has a very very small window in which to jump, if he does he should be a solid to good everyday 3B if not then he will waste away, Fingbres is in the same boat expect he hasn’t aged yet so his birthday could kill him.  All in all a lot of big gambles for Oakland in the draft his year.

Phi
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Faux was the surefire pick at #1, so nothing wrong with that pick. Sakubara suffers from the same issues that alot of the 3B had in this draft - the defense doesn’t look good enough to put what projects as a below average bat at 3B, and the bat would be even worse for a 1B. Hall is a boom or bust spec, if he jumps he could be a really nice power build, but the control and movement are so far behind his power, that without getting into the upper 80s/low 90s, he will be a bullpen arm or less.

MZY: Faux was the best pitcher in the draft 17 very projectable he should be a no doubt Ace withing a few seasons as most if there was a year to have the top pick in the draft this was a good one to do it.  Sakubara, cool name, that’s it.  He had a 6 point jump this year which did nothing to his vitals which is a concern, may be the curious of the players from the far East the birthday drop will tell us a lot, also he is a 1B at best if not DH, sorry Dave don’t like him at all.  Hall and Eastham are good gambles but the later has a birthday coming up so not sure how much that effects him overall.  But at least you got Faux, and trust me that is enough.

Pit
Grades:
MZY:  A

Review:
TT: 
Tucker was my #3 SP in this draft, but still has ace potential. No real red flags, and being only 17, he could really develop into a real weapon for Gilly. Hagemen is apparently going to be converted to a SP, and being 16 he is really a crapshoot. The GB% is a great start, but alot can happen as he develops and transitions to a SP, so some risk in this decision for sure. Ballbe is interesting, and already jumped, so he’ll need to continue a staircase like climb to be really good but even as a lower peak he should be effective.

MZY:  While in not sure how I feel about Tucker the draft as a whole works well.  Tucker was in my Top 5 in SP on the board definitely behind Faux and Crofoot  while there are a few concerns with him he should be a top end of the rotation pitcher and at 17 you have plenty of time to let me mature.  When you are able to nab 2 16 year old RP in a draft you should feel good, whether the intention is the stretch them out of let them RP they both look pretty good and Pitt did well to nab them.  Ballbe might be a steal in the end as well, he has some very nice projectable vitals and a good track record, Pitt could see massive returns in this class for them even in a poor overall draft.

Sdp
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
It’ll be interesting to see how Vogel develops, as he looks like he’ll mash lefties, and if his contact can develop well, he may hit righties well enough to start in the OF. Don’t like what else was done for SDP, none of the OFs stand out, and Tate would look good if he had more upside and hadn’t already dropped.

MZY:  San Diego took a few projectable OF bats this draft, I don’t like Vogel, when someone has a contact/power/eye combo that are all the same I worry, most of the builds ive run into like that all end up with mid 80s vitals and end up being meh at best.  I fear that he will flame out and end up a 4th OF somewhere or a starter on a rebuilder that dumps him as soon as their DP mature.  Brown is similar but ina  slightly better place, wouldn’t be surprised to see him as the better player in the end.

Sfg
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Smith was probably the best all around catcher in this draft, even though he doesn’t look like he’ll be elite at anything. The arm may be good enough to keep him behind the plate, but the bat doesn’t look to be anything special, so for future impact I think there were some better players to grab that high. Cole was the pick in the 2nd, and he looks similar to Smith just with a worse arm. Bookman was a sneaky solid pick in the 4th - good power, good splits and a little speed could make him a useful player. Walker could be worth keeping an eye on as well if the movement can catch up to his power.

MZY: I like Smith, while I worry about his Arm if it can advance some then he should end up a good catcher with a nice power/eye combo and a decent contact rating.  The rest of the draft class in San Fran I was not a fan off.  I didn’t like any pick after Smith, some of them have projectable bats but nothing that great. Now there was an issue I believe with the draft for them so quarter should be shown but all in all we hope this doesn’t affect their rebuild.

Sea
Grades:
TT: A++++
MZY: N/A

Review:
TT: 
I  mean it this time, since he had no picks.

MZY: No picks

Stl
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Whitson is interesting, but that GB% rate worries me. If his HRs can get sorted out as he ages, he could be another really excellent pitcher from the top of this draft. Hyman was the 2nd rounder, and he has good splits but unless he jumps big time he is probably destined to be a 4th OF or starter on a non contender. Rub looks like he may be a solid RP someday.

MZY: Love the draft for St. Louis.  Whitson was my 3rd favorite SP avialbe, huge power arm with what should be good control and good movement since he is only 17.  The HR however are an issue if those fall under control he will be one of the best pitchers out of the draft and should be an Ace in the end.  Meelingan is a good pick as well big time power, the control may lag however and he doesn turn 20 this year so depending on the drop there may be some issues.  Here is the Rub, we like Rub.  Nice young projectable RP, but again with a birthday coming up this next sim if it hits too hard he could get Rubbed out.

Tex
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Warpriest has a history of drafting some excellent SPs in the first round and Jones could be another one. The HR rate and GB% are both excellent, and he has tons of upside and is only 17, so I expect him to be a good #2 or 3 at least. Carnahan snuck under my radar initially, but he looks like a nice lefty hitter that will play a good 3B and hit for some power.

MZY:  Lots of folks were high on Jones a Homer without Homer issues.  Im not as sold as some, while he may have been a Top 5 SP in the draft I think there were at least a few I would have selected ahead of him, but that is me he could end up an ace like no other but im concerned best he gets to is a good 2 man or solid 3.  Carnahan would be a tremendous pick was his 22nd birthday not about to hit, if it’s a small drop he could be a monster but more than likely with a small window he will end up being a solid but not good 3B in the league.  SCheller is about to hit a birthday as well which I fear ruins his chance at the league as anthign more than a fill in.

Tor
Grades:
MZY: B-

Review:
TT: 
I don’t love Casis, but there were worse picks to be had at #24. He should hit for decent contact and a bit of power, the eye will be decent as well, and a bit of speed will give him so SB threat. The big issue is that I doubt he will be much of a defender at 2B. Elson I do like some, a lefty bat to take a chance on that could turn into a nice hitter. Atlman was a sleeper at #57 overall. The GB% is as high as I’ve seen it and I think he turns into a nice middle of the rotation SP. Benes could have gone in the 2nd, as I think the control will get to a point where he will be useful, and the power and movement should play up quite a bit out of the pen.

MZY: Corey went ahead and drafted a number of guys with vitals we generally look for he took a speed guy with his first pick, but the guy has not defense and his bat is only ok, but as a young switch hitter there is enough room for growth there that it could be ok in the end.  Elson is a fun looking Power/Eye guy who will end up at DH, if his 22dn birthday this offseason doesn’t kill him.  Atman and Benes have some youth and solid vitals so they will be the ones in this draft to keep an eye on.  Dryden as well, except for his pending birthday.

Wsh
Grades:
TT: A

Review:
TT: 
Daniel is a nice player, and he can play the OF as well as 1B. Lots to like in his build as well, with being a switch hitter, only 17, and having much better baserunning vitals than most 1B do. The biggest downside is his eye vital being below his overall.  I was kicking myself for not taking Jacobs a few picks earlier with my own pick, as he looks to be a really nice young SP to let develop and see how high he can fly. The GB% and HR rate are both elite, and he has a good repertoire to work with. Drielick was another nice arm to grab in the 2nd, even being lefty, the amateur stats look great as well as the GB%, he projects really well.

MZY:  Never trust a man with two first names.  Wesley Daniel, when you see a switch hitting 17 year old you get excited, when you realize his Eye is non existant you get concerned,  but he should play RF well, if he turns into a Grass type players then you are good to go and whoudl be excited but if he doesn’t then you become very sad.  Jacobs is a nice looking SP who has a birthday coming up, also he might be best if transitioned to a RP roel.  Drielick is a solid looking SP could could turn out nicely, Winhester is a solid catcher build who could end up a backup one day.  Pete did not go his typical Power/Eye DH types in this draft, which is too bad it was the perfect draft to do so in.
Pit GM
'08- Current: Pirates GM Record
'56-'08: Seattle GM Record 4606-3510 .568 win%
'20-'32: San Francisco GM Record 875-1231 .415 win%
'10-'14: Minnesota GM Record 324-324 .500 win%
World Series Champion 2010, 2089, 2092, 2095
American League Champion 2010, 2062, 2089, 2092, 2093, 2095

Best Record Full Year (Regular Season and Playoffs Combined):  131-45 .744 win%
Winner of first ever FCM World Series
all done
Houston GM
2060 - present

Playoffs: 20 (Division '68 - '73, '78, '81 -'86, '88, '05-'10)
ALDS Wins: 11 ('68, '70 - '73, '83, '94, '06 - '09)
ALCS Wins: 6 ('71, '73, '83, '06, '08, '09)
2073 WS Champs
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »