• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2085 Draft Review
Ari
Grades:
TT: B+
MZY: B+

Review:
TT: 
 The defending World Champs picking at the back of each round went with 1B Boozer over some of the interesting arms left on the board. There were quite a few interesting 1B so I like the pick, but there are definitely some questions with him. He needs every point of that 17 upside to be an impact hitter, and the dramatic splits always leave me worried with RHH, even though he has a chance to get to 70 contact vs RHP. Holmes was one of a handful of quality RP specs in this draft as well, and should be useful, although not necessarily dominant.

MZY: I like the Arizona draft, Boozer at the end of the 1st might end up being a sneaky good pick he has huge power and a very good eye.  The 4 point drop isn’t ideal but it could be worse and he will only turn 22 this offseason so still enough meat on the bone.  Holmes looks like a solid RP choice in very high GB rate appears to have good control and power and will have solid movement could end up in a CL if all goes right.  Brookshire might be a surprise as well better speed then some might think and very good defense if his bat can do ok he will be a starter.  The rest of the picks ended up being good lotto guys and could see the back end of a bullpen or  maybe a MLB Bench.

Atl
Grades:
TT: C+
MZY: B

Review:
TT: 
Reynolds is a high ceiling/low floor type that I tend to avoid, but he should have plenty of time to develop into a quality SP and could be a really nice top of the rotation arm if it all breaks right. Burstein was way down my list and I like a lot of other arms at this spot, just not enough room for the movement to get to a level that makes the low control play up enough to be good. He actually looks like what Reynolds could look like in 5 seasons if he fails to develop enough.

MZY:  I like the Reynolds pick, hard not to like a 16yr SP with solid control good power and two nice pitches.  The reason I don’t love the pick is the Fastball is not where I want to see it and I worry the control will lag a little bit more then some think.  Also while some might think this is crap Im not a fan of SP who has terrible amateur number and Reynolds are trash.  Burstein on the other hand has great amateur numbers but im not sure why he was picked so high.  He is already 21 his control looks to like it will loose ground on his overall next jump, his power will remain high and like all pitchers his movement should get better, his fastball may fall behind as well which would only leave him with one good pitch he just isn’t checking the right boxes for me.  Trude is a guy im not sure how I missed, he looks to be a good catcher, if his arm was a bit higher he would have gone a round or more earlier but he should end up a good starter somewhere.

Bal
Grades:
TT: C-

Review:
TT: 
Fischer is a reach for me at #4. He’s left handed, should hit for a good average and OBP, and can play CF well, but he doesn’t do anything special like steal bases or hit for power to make him worth a top 5 pick. He probably would have been available in the 10-20 range if not lower. Beddoes was a nice middle of the draft pick for a younger guy that could turn into a useful hitter, and actually may be worth trying at 3B if the offense justifies it. Worst case is he could be a nice platoon option.

MZY: I like Fischer, he may be king.  He should be a very good bat and a good defender, might be the best OF in the draft.  He will have great contact and a great eye, his power will lack and we are a bit concerned for his speed, but worse comes to worse you get a great 2 hole hitter that could be a well above average OF.  The rest of the picks feel like Autos nothing stands out as great Beddos is a 84 peak going mid 4th round there is a reason for that you want to think something is there but it probably isn’t.  The rest are lottos that are not terrible but have an outside chance at making it.

Bos
Grades:
TT: B-

Review:
TT: 
Thompson has a high risk/high reward build where you know the power and movement will be there, but the control is what really matters for him to be good. 80/85/95 could make him a pretty nice arm, but control in the 70s may force him to the bullpen. Chambliss was a nice pick in the 4th, as the rare LHH 3B, but he also throws lefty but his best position is also 3B so not sure how mogul handles that.

MZY: Boston took two nice looking power movement guys in Thompson and Cully.  Most don’t like these builds but they have been proven to be effective lately what needs to happen with these builds to be most effective is a 80 control or at least over 75 to be good enough, id also be concerned with the HR Thompson might give up.  McShimes looks to be a solid catcher if the arm progresses enough he could end up a starter at worse sould be a solid back up.  Chambliss is a Lefty 3B not a common occurrence, he might end up having an ok bat if so the ok defense that goes with it will get him major league playing time.  Jinks and Thacker were both solid choices late if either can catch a jump they could be solid additions to a pen.

Chc
Grades:
TT: A
MZY: A+

Review:
TT: 
Andy with a billion picks...I think we all know how this ends up in about 5 seasons. Nourry was probably the safest SP at the top of the draft, and he definitely has some real top of the rotation potential to go with it. Elworthy could be a stud, and even if he just becomes a low average slugger, will have the defense to be worth starting at 3B. Yzquierdo looks solid as a ‘pen piece, Hawn probably ends up looking a bit like my own Ranjel, and should be startable defensively with excellent speed. Alexander and Cordera both look like good guys to take a shot on in the middle of the draft and should be useful.

MZY:  Leave it to Andy to fuck everyones draft hope and dreams up.  With the number of picks available to the Cubs its no wonder they were able to get such a good looking group of specs.  Noury might be the best arm in the draft, at worse he is in the Top 3 good GB rate great control good movement the only minor concern is the pitches below his overall.  We like Johnson as well but the concern is that September drop, if it isn’t much he could be a power hitting GG CF if its too big the developlemt track could become a concern.  We like Ellsworthy a lot as well reminds us of Tally from a few draft ago, the issue is the range isn’t he same and Tally might end up with slightly better contact.  Richards and Davis are nice looking SP specs and Anning and Wyatt look to be good OF.  We also like Hawn and Woolescroft quiet a bit as well as a lot of those lottos taken later in the draft.

Chw
Grades:
TT:
MZY: N/A

Review:
TT: 

MZY:  NO picks

Cin
Grades:
TT: C+

Review:
TT: 
Rouse looks like a Jacob Beisel starter kit and he has been a divisive topic in the past in the league….500 HRs and not much else to show for his career, so we’ll see if he can at least hit for consistent power and play quality defense if that’s all he can do.

MZY: Rouse has a birthday coming up end of the month so a lot of where he might end up will be told then, we are all obviously concerned about contact if it can catch up he will be really good, if it doesn’t there will be issues.  Lugo and Zoqier are nice projectable bats it will be interesting to see how they develop.  The other two lotto tickets are interesting but nothing special.

Cle
Grades:
MZY: A

Review:
TT: 
Seton was my top pitcher for this draft, although he doesn’t look like as sure of a thing as many top 5 pitchers tend to be. I saw someone compare him to Canini from FLA, and I agree that is a fair comparison, although I like Seton’s starting build a bit better than where Canini started. Bunten’s got big time power potential and could develop into an 80+ contact/95 power bat in LF or 1B. Whisler was a guy I hoped to get but knew he would probably get picked before my late 2nd rounders. He looks like he could turn into a solid RP alot like Lyonell Short was for me, with high control and solid movement, but never the power to be dominant.

MZY: Love Seton, one of my favorite SP in the draft, might end up ending being the best one.  Not entirely sure how the vitals end up power will be big not sure what the control and movement does but the there is a lot that is looking good, it will be interesting to see what 3rd pitch develops, if any.  Bunten is a great power eye bat it will be interesting if he remains more a HR hitter or a double hitter.  Whisler is the 2nd best RP in the draftnand has a great shot to be a good CL.  Evison and Ramales both are nice projectable SP with nice upsides love both these picks.

Col
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Cazalo was a bit underrated by some I feel. He’s got a lot going for him with amateur stats, GB%, and starting build and with a jump could look like a top of the rotation arm. Swartz and Stamm were a couple of late targets of mine and got snagged just before I could get them, but nice lotto picks that could turn useful.

MZY: Cazalo wasn’t on my list but that was probably an oversite.  At 18 he has a very nice projection curve and plenty of time to hit it, looks to be a control movement guy the issue will be with his control so close to his overall does it keep up or begin to lag, if it keeps up top end pitcher, if it lags middle to back.  Herbert and Flickinger were nice projectable pitchers that I was hoping to grab, Herbert I feel will be suprisinly good.  Carlock and Tenario are nice projectable bats and should have more then 5th round worth when all is said and doen.

Det
Grades:
TT: B
MZY: B-

Review:
TT: 
Just one pick for GB this year and it was a power hitting 1B that looks solid...reminds be a bit of Broomfield from a few seasons ago, fairly high upside but the floor is a AAA 1B.

MZY: With only one pick the Tigers took the best they could, they get a solid defensive 1B with good power and a great eye.  The concern ill be how high the contact makes it as he appears he might he more a double hitter than a HR hitter which isn’t a major concern but could hurt long term productivity and value.

Fla
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Walder probably fell farther than he should have, although I can see why some weren’t wanting to take the plunge on him. If the movement can match the control, he could be a really nice SP, but I think there’s a good chance he ends up looking more like Kent Carney or Preston Franklin where the control stays well above the power and movement and his true production ends up less than you hoped for. Watson will need some good development to be a useful SP, although he reminds me of a former Marlin draftee Edgar Vasquez. He might be better off in the bullpen eventually if the control doesn’t come around.

MZY: I liked the pick of Walder who was one of the better SP in the draft high control and movement that will jump again makes him the typical loved FCM pitcher.  The questions with him are his lack of plus pitches, he appears to have a plus rated cutter and this is it, should develop a solid fastball and change but without them being plus pitches I wonder if that will hurt his effectiveness.  Watson is the type of pitcher I expect Hokey to grab power guy with ok control and gonna have solid movement.  He will have 2 plus pitches and a third solid pitch and is gonna strike out a ton of batters,  the issue will be he will give up a lot of gopher balls so he may not be as effective as one would like.  Gospon is an interesting pick, defense should be playable and the bat might progress nicely if both happen then you should have a solid everyday player you most team or a great guy to have on your bench for good teams.  The rest are nice projectable types but nothing to rave over.

Hou
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY:  Very good draft for someone relying on comp and late picks.  Beavon is one of the better SP that many wanted but were unable to grab. He has a great fastball and has pitched well at each level and his GB rate should improve enough to make him effective there.  The issue will be does he develop another pitch and if so which one, He turn 21 this offeason will be able to tell us a lot and we should know if he will end up being good, or just OK.  I like Novak as well thing he could be a solid mid rotation guy when all is said and done, but that may be dependent of if he jumps this year and what that jump looks like.  OF Mario and SS Winklemen are nice picks both are good defeners the question will be if the bats develop, if they do both will see the show in some capacity or the other.

Kcr
Grades:
MZY: A-

Review:
TT: 
Martin is one of those rare draftees that is probably ready to start in sim 5. Unfortunately his upside is limited, as he just turned 22 and only has 7 points of upside currently. That said, he looks useful at 2B or SS and should hit for some average, OBP, and steal 20 bags a year. Not a huge fan of Starr, but I can see why he was picked as high as he was and should have plenty of time to grow into a quality SP and has a nice GB% to start with. Mecedone looks nice as well, and getting him at 22 was a steal.

MZY: I was both titillated and concerned by the KC draft this year.  Martin is the pick that best describes those feelings, he was a guy many were targeting but where was the question.  The former GM of KC was very high on him and why wouldn’t you be great looking numbers He should hit for average get on base a lot and steal and number of bags while playing very good defense.  The issue is he very well might peak out next season, if he does it could be near where he sits now.  If that is the case he was picked a bit high if he LeCavaliers it he will spike high look amazing then settle into that range we all thing hell end up in and be good not great.  Starr was an interesting pick, his age says first round his vitals say 2nd his numbers say 3rd.  So which Starr shine through, way to early to tell for some reason I am very spectical about him especially this early, I see him as more a 2nd round talent who will end up maybe the middle of the rotation with good movement and solid contact I think the 16 of him was the siren call to the rocks of doom.  Mecedone was a good bat to take in that range young lefty with power and contact but his vitals are bunched together so its hard to see how he will play out.  If I had to guess id say great contact ok power meh eye, if that is the case your have a solid late bat on your hands not the type you want to hit 3-5.  I don’t like Dunkle, like at all, he wasn’t on my list and I stayed away from him I don’t know exactly why but I have large concerns about him and didn’t want anything to do with him.

Laa
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
McDonagh was my #3 1B this draft, but went as the 2nd 1B taken, so I’d call it a bit of a reach at #13 overall. He looks nice, and I think he’ll hit plenty, but Arkell would have been the 1B to take here imo. I liked the Overy pick, a switch hitter with great defensive prowess in all 3 spots. I see him as a 4th OF floor, but if the contact plays up a bit he could be a really nice CF with pop for OWM. I think MacDade will be surprisingly solid in the rotation someday - the upside is there and it looks like the control/movement with play nicely, if the HR rate can stay in check he might turn into something.

MZY: Loved the draft top to bottom.  McDonagh was tied for my favorite bat in the draft at 1B, not named Luka that is.  He is 17 and lefty, double check, but the concern I have is the same with the guy KC took, contact over power.  I think Tony the Tiger will be GREEEAAATTTTT, but I think he will be more of a Nace player he will hit .300 but only 20-30 HR, most prefer the .260-.280 30-40 HR types.  I like Overy great defense switch hitter should have power and a little speed if his eye and contact can move with him you may end up with a 20-20 guy that wont win any awards but will be a good everyday guy.  MacDade going so low might end up being a crime, nice projectable SP with an amazing fastball the control will lack but he could end up in the 80s with 90s plus movment but if the control is able to match the movement youll have a very good 2-3 type SP.  With two other projectable SP to round out the draft class LAA is looking good heading into their new direction.

Lad
Grades:
MZY: C+

Review:
TT: 
Kevin Raikes won’t quite live up to his surname, but he may be a 4th OF as a guy that provides some defensive value. McAteer looks like at future backup, but in a weak draft at catcher, that’s probably a good pick in the 3rd round.

MZY: The Dodgers clock in with two picks a young Defense first OF who hopes he Raikes when he hits the bigs.  He wont, he should have an amazing eye and some good contact, he will start on pretenders and be a bench guy for contenders.  He isn’t a bad pick but there isn’t a lot of upside there I don’t feel.  McAteer has some power and could develop into a solid back up catcher/bench bat, the lack of an Arm will hold him back from being a starter he will make the bigs at least, and that is pretty good for a late 3rd round pick.

Mil
Grades:
MZY: C

Review:
TT: 
With only 1 pick in the top 108 picks, Jmaine didn’t have much to work with at the top of the draft, but made do with what he had. Seaman has some real power potential, although LF or DH is his only real chance to play so he’s gonna have to have the contact progress enough to be worth playing at either spot. Cheney interested me a bit later in the draft, and the build is starting off solid, but we’ll have to see what he looks like at his next b-day to really have an idea if he has a chance.

MZY: Jmaine suffered from late round pick syndrome.  He got an attractive bat with his first pick that could be explosive when stroked so cover your eyes.  He had a 4 point birthday drop so a lot will be deterimined if he jumps or not this year.  Regardless he will be one of the most power filled bats out of the draft, if he gets enough contact and eye he will make opposing teams salty.  With his later picks he took a few of and a SP, while I wouldn’t go hunting with the SP he might be something useful down the road, I was personally not a fan of any of those OF one or two might turnout but I woudlnt count on them for anything more then trade filler.

Min
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Gabusi. If he’s serviceable at 3B, then I think he’s a steal at #9. I don’t think he’ll be good enough at 2B, but if he has to DH then #9 is about the right spot to take a bat like him. My guess is he’ll be a good enough 3B and top tier bat at at a time when 3B is scarce in our file. The solid players really fell into Masc’s lap this year as Herald was another guy that probably should have gone sooner. Although I can definitely see the movement lagging behind and making him less impressive, but a comp pick is a good spot to take that risk. Bennet has similar questions, although being a control/movement build leaves less room for error for him. 2B Douglas is one to keep an eye on if he jumps.

MZY: I haven’t seen Masc have such a hard on over a player since his password holding days.  All joking aside there was a lot of debate predraft on Gabusi, some were down on him, some were high on him, but no one was as high on him and went down on him as hard as Masc did.  The good, looks to be a very potent bat amazing eye good to great power and solid to good contact, the bad his defense looks like 3B might be the place for him but how well can he actually play it?  We will find out soon enough.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up with an over 80 contact an over 90 eye, but a sub 90 power, basically Jaykuam Brown without the D and a better eye.  Masc did well the rest of the draft to take nice looking and projectable pitchers.  Herald looks real good but the late July Birthday may be the tale of the tape, if its not bad then he will be very good and Masc will be happy, if the drop is large less happy.  Bennet is in the same build boat and is post birthday with only a 3 point drop so he will be interesting to watch.  The rest will be wait and sees.

Mon
Grades:
MZY: B-

Review:
TT: 
Only 3rds and later for MON, but some nice lottery picks to get into the system. Wakeham was the guy that caught my eye and could develop into a nice bench piece or better.

MZY: Not a lot of pick and all later and yet I like the draft for Montreal, I mean it might not give all a Hardstaff but maybe it should.  Walter is a typical build that looks like if he makes his marks will be a solid mid rotation arm, Lawrence McRob and Hardstaff are power arms, some might end up in the pen but they all have shots at making the majors and doing something.  Wakeham is your big speed late round OF selection, as a lefty you are surprised he wasn’t nabbed sooner he should make the OF somewhere for a while.

Nym
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Lack is a lefty power build, and I just don’t love the pick as those guys don’t tend to develop into much unless they are truly elite. Delte was a nice gamble at the back of the 2nd as the talent began to dwindle. Switch hitter with power that should be usable at 2B, albeit nothing special defensively.

MZY: I think the Mets draft was Lack(ing) this year and they were Delte a bit of a bad hand.  Oh shut up those were Puny and you laughed at one of them.  I don’t like Lack, he has that build ive enjoyed of late lower control with some power and a lot of movement, the probably here is there will not be a lot of power so if the control doesn’t stay close to the movement he wont be a very good SP, his only 2 point drop si the best thing he has going for him.  Delte I think was overlooked, his defense wont be the worse he should be able to play with it he is only 17 and he is a switch hitter.  He wont be some superstar but he should end up a solid to good everyday 2B who can hit from both sides of the plate, if you know what I mean.

Nyy
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
All late picks for Erick. Fowler could be useful with a jump if the vitals all get into the 80s, and Ramakrishna was a guy I looked at late in the draft with good splits and some defensive talent at everywhere but catcher.

MZY: NYY had all late picks so they are not to blame for the grade, they did well to pick up potentially useful pieces.  Fowler looks like he could be a back end of the rotaton arm or at the very least a pen piece.  Stu project to be  defensive wiz in LF, RF, SS, 3B and 2B while he bat might not be much he could be a legit super utility guy for someone.  Wetton looks to be a solid back up catcher and Witter a nice defense fist back up for the middle infield.  For a team as good as NYY draft stars is better but drafting good solid backup when little to nothing is there is nice as well.

Oak
Grades:
TT: C

Review:
TT: 
I think OAK was auto’d but someone can correct me if I’m wrong here. But Pena isn’t a terrible auto, but being a RHH the impact he can have is limited with those splits, but he’ll clobber LHP so he’s got that going for him. Guilarte is the same story. Dixon was a  decent auto however and at #88 that’s a good risk to take and see if he can get lucky and be a neat little basestealer for the A’s.

MZY: Not sure if there was a list or these were all autos, regardless a job pretty well done.  Pena is a legit big bat and should play a solid RF when I looked at the two best bats in the draft I was eyeing up Luka and Pena, so to get Pena mid 1st is a good grab his age is maybe what kept gusy away but there will be some that wish then had gone in this direction instead of shooting for the Starr’s.  Imbert was the same way a 22yr scared folks off, that and the predraft jump maybe.  While im not as high on him and Pena I think he will still be a solid bat but I fear nothing close to what one would hope.  Dixon one of htose speed MIF, but without the glove there is little he may be able to accomplish.  The rest are nice power bat bets, I think Ainsworht might be on a stair climb, if that is the case he should end surprising a lot of folks.

Phi
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Borayo is a defendable #1 pick, as the potential is way high, but the most likely outcome is that he is a mid 80’s contact/power with bad splits that probably should be in the bottom 3rd of a lineup. The elite speed is the only thing making him worth the top pick, as he should steal 35-45 bases in his prime, at a minimum. All I have to say on Pender is lets see if the control gets to 80. If it does, he’s a stud power arm, if it doesn’t then he’ll be a back of the rotation arm or in the bullpen.

MZY: I love Borayo as the pick at 1, not a big birthday drop amazing speed and solid defense.  His defense should get a little better and as long as his contact gets to 80 or better you will have an AllStar SS who steals a ton of bases and gets a lot of walks.  People ho hum attitude toward him will diminish greatly once he is ready to play, which he could probably do now againstn LHP.  Pender is that power arm that you love to gamble on.  He could end up a frontline starter if the cards are in his favor,  the problem is he could end up looking like Osprina on Seattle, not terrible vitals but if the HR become an issue it will limit his effectiveness.  Rothman was a guy I was about to try to grab, he is someone that give you that feeling of excitement for no reason, I mean legit no reason just something screamed draft me, I was unable to Daves possibly great benefit.  The rest are nice projectable lotto types.

Pit
Grades:
TT:
MZY: NA

Review:
TT: 

MZY: No picks

Sdp
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Bierig’s not a guy I think should have gone in the top 10, but this was a less than stellar draft for top end SP, so taking a guy that should have a relatively high floor makes some sense. If he doesn’t drop much he should be a decent #3 but a jump could turn him into more of a top of the rotation arm. Carrizo was probably the top catcher in this draft, although that doesn’t say much. He projects to get to the upper 80s with his arm, which is becoming more the norm around the league and the bat should be good enough to put at the bottom of a lineup. I like the pick of Watts, as he should be a back of the rotation option with a chance for a bit more.

MZY: Loved this San Diego draft form top to bottom.  Bieirg was a SP not many were talking about id hope slipped to me somewhere I love him.  Good to great control same with movement big time GB rate and a good fastball, and his stats which again I know most don’t care about are very good which I see as an encouraging sign.  Only gave up 1 HR last year also a great sign.  Carrizo was the best Catcher in the draft by far.  Has the good arm handling combo, the only question with him is what will happen with the bat, if becomes serviceable you have a starter, if not a superior backup.  McCarthy and Watts are great picks as well nice young projectable albeit different pitchers.  Mendez and Tallman also defense first but projectable young players.  This may be the best DC to come to San Diego in recent years.

Sfg  
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
I had Molenza as my #2 SP this draft. The combination of age, GB%, great starting vitals, and great amateur stats put him solidly in the top tier of SP this draft. Masalihit looks interesting on the surface with a solid start in his vitals, but he’s in his age 22 season and has given up tons of HRs with a very low GB%. I wouldn’t rule out him becoming a solid SP, but the margin for error is small and I think he probably needs to end up in the 90/90/95 range to overcome those issue, which would be a long shot as those guys are few and far between.

MZY: San Fran did a great job to get two of the best SP in this class, Molenza is a great selection young control first guy you love to be able to grab at 17, the issue Id have with him is the lack of a fastball which seems important in mogul.  I thought he would go later in the round but the predraft jump cemented his early pick.  I like the next SP better Albert was a guy I was hoping slipped to the top of the 2nd where I waited bc of his age.  Big time control power pitcher with a movement that shouldn’t lag behind.  Good stats and tremendous fastball he is the type that could end up being a surprise Ace and will make a lot of people wonder why they overlooked him.  I really liked the next 4 SP they took as well a power pitcher and a few control arms, none scream why wasn’t I chosen earlier but all looked to be useful additions for someone down the road.

Sea
Grades:
TT: A-

Review:
TT: 
Arkell may have been the steal of the draft, as he was one of the best bats in the draft regardless of position. Grymes might be a conversion candidate, but even if he isn’t he could be a fine set-up guy or better depending on how the power develops. Perica probably isn’t a guy that should have gone at #39, but I guess he should be a 4th OF, and if the bat comes around maybe a decent CF, but the speed won’t translate to SBs so you’re relying on the bat to be useful enough to start. Zook has huge potential but I suspect he will end up on the lower end of startable 1B, similar to Paynter in BOS, but if the contact gets into the low 70s he could be a 40 HR guy, and the great eye will be a bonus. Not a lot to highlight in the later rounds...although Coughlin and McMullen are each interesting as guys to watch over the next couple seasons if they can jump soon.

MZY: I liked the Seattle draft, Kinda.  Arkell might be the most well rounded bat to come out of the draft, he should hit for contact and power with a good to great eye.  I feel like when some were talking about bats people will pass on this draft that shouldn’t’ve been passed on Arkell was that guy.  I could not believe he was available still hence why I moved up to nab him.  Grymes was the best RP in the draft and looks to be a good CL, huge fastball with have an ok Curve he should be a long term closer.  Perica was an interesting pick, his speed isn’t aas good as it looks which is why he was still there when he was picked, but it is unsure if he is McWhirk or better, if better then it was a good selection.  Zook is a nice projectable lefty bat and Coughlin is a slightly older slightly worse Bat hten Ellsworthy who went in the first, should end up a good 3B.  The 4th was litered with a good defense catcher and projectable 2B and some interesting OF guys that look like solid all around 4th OF types.  Not a great draft but pretty good.

Stl
Grades:
TT: C

Review:
TT: 
Good was a reach as many GMs were quick to mention in the chat. The upside is clear, and if it all comes together he can be an ace along the lines of Toledano or one of those power builds that have been successful. He jumped in sim 5 already, and it wasn’t exactly a great jump for him so not a great start, but we’ll see. Caisse is another low GB% power build, so we all know the issues there. Likely won’t be much but there’s always a chance he develops into a stud.

MZY: Who love power pitchers and isn’t afraid to show it? GD!.  Seriously im not sure why anyone was surprised when he took Good in the first and Caisse in the 2nd, no one else was.  Now these are not bad pitchers just most hate that build, personally I think he got two really good young pitchers that should do grand thing in St Louis.  However he could have dealt back in the first still got Good and added a 2nd or more round picks in doing go to take the power pitchers other folks got some how.  Good looks like an Ace and Caiise like a 2-3, both were on my list as well I think the more I look at them the more I like the draft and have just re graded it.  Callahan is more the build most like and for him to go that late in the draft is a steal for GD, the fact his vitals are below his overall was the issue there but still he should end up a solid back end of the rotation guy, GD could have just got 3/5 a rotation with these picks.  Add that to some typical projectable late round bats it was a good draft by GD.

Tex
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Warpriest usually goes SP when he picks at the top of a draft, or at least it seems that way, so going with Carter at #2 was a surprise to me. But Carter is a good one to buck the SP trend with. The best RHH in the draft no doubt, and looks to be a masher if he develops as he should. Miller is another power hitting righty, but he’s got some positional flexibility, so he could be a great pick if the bat turns out useful enough to keep on a major league roster.

MZY: Luka was my favorite draft bat I loved him I think he will be hitting massive amounts of HR and have a great eye to go with it.  I could go on and on but I wont with the 2nd pick in the draft Texas got the best bat.  They most love power in Texas, the next bats taken were massive power bats as well, that being said I hate Miller, sure he will have 90 power but will he have 70 anythign else?  Too much of a risk in my mind I would have let him go.  Lombard is a nice projectable it will be intereting to see what happens with him.  All is all a meh draft but Luka is a diamond.

Tor
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Lynch was arguably the best RP in the draft, or at least the one with the best shot at becoming a closer and went right around where I expected him to go. Umana is an interesting bat, but I don’t see what position he will play, but that may come into better focus as he develops.

MZY: I like Lynch he has a lot of things going for him, but im not sure how good he will be.  I feel him being a lefty doesn’t matter but I just think that Grymes who was taken after him will be the better pitcher and better CL, his endurance is too low to stretch out so Lynch needs to close ill watch him closely to see if im wrong but im not high on him.  I like Umana a lot I think he is one of htose OF a lot of folks passed on that will wish they hadn’t.  I see a high contact hitter in him, the issue is the lack of glove limits his playability, might end up like OF Jenson, good bat, not were to safely paly.  Crozier is a nice looking power arm would end up seeing pen time.

Wsh
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
I liked Nice at #35. He’s got the starting build and GB% rate to be productive, but his low health and the HRs in the amateur stats are a question. I’d prefer if he was a bit farther along than 51 overall as he will turn 21 after this season, but that’s not a deal breaker. Overall a solid pick. Marantos was another nice get by Peter at #61, looks like a solid back of the rotation guy with upside for more. Nothing stood out to me after the first 3 picks, but knowing Peter he’ll get a couple of those late picks to look fancy in a few seasons, and this grade will look way too bearish.

MZY: I hate to love Pete draft but his one was good.  Some players are Nice to have others appear Rusty at time but none have looked so Rusty Nice.  Very interesting pitcher Peter got here, looks like when all is said and done he could end up a middle of the rotation type arm.  McSwiggans best name, good hitter.  He will be a good hitter when all is said and done, maybe not All Star level but I think we are taling about an everyday professional hitter.  I like Marantos appears to be a good back end starter or solid pen piece.  Hagen, Foster, Deville, Stover great Peter pickups young projectable bats in a OF position, good to keep better to trade as they begin to jump.

Pit GM
'08- Current: Pirates GM Record
'56-'08: Seattle GM Record 4606-3510 .568 win%
'20-'32: San Francisco GM Record 875-1231 .415 win%
'10-'14: Minnesota GM Record 324-324 .500 win%
World Series Champion 2010, 2089, 2092, 2095
American League Champion 2010, 2062, 2089, 2092, 2093, 2095

Best Record Full Year (Regular Season and Playoffs Combined):  131-45 .744 win%
Winner of first ever FCM World Series
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »