• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2086 Draft Review
Ari

Grades:
TT:
MZY: B-

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Its hard to draft well with only late picks in a weak draft, but Rhen did well.  Carabez could have easily gone in the 2nd he is 19 with two good pitches and is a nice build should have good control nice power and ok to good movement and best yet he doesn’t appear to have a HR problem.  Burk has a similar build but is a couple years older if he wasn’t about to have a birthday he would be an even better pick.  Howard is a very nice projectable bat he should have very good power and some nice OPS.  I like Christie is a nice looking spec, if his birthday wasn’t about to hit he may have gone a few rounds earier, move him to 2B and he should be pretty solid.

Atl
Grades:
TT:
MZY: B+

Review:
TT: 

MZY:  Arrenodondo is a guy a lot of GMs looked at, projects to be a very good SP, has the chance to be a top of the line SP.  However there are a few issues, the HR being the big one, but if he can progress nicely and keep the HR down he could be very good.  Wright is a guy that might have gone a bit early, I worry how the bat and glove will end up, he looks to be average at best across the board.  We like Vernacet has some deseptive speed and should hit for some solid power and with that range you might wanna toss him into CF and let him run.  We don’t hate Jacoby either had a big drop before the draft, if he can rebound he should be pretty good.

Bal
Grades:
TT:
MZY: C-

Review:
TT: 

MZY: I see what HH was trying to do in the draft, but I think that he missed on a bunch of his picks.  Bunton isn’t terrible but Im not a fan of him I think there was many better picks at this point in the draft, if the idea is to transition him to SP then its an even worse pick.  Manrillas is a guy that was no where on my board and id guess not many other peoples either.  He has a birthday soon and I feel with that build the drop could be massive.  Love the Kiato pick he is the best of the 3 he took in the 1st round, should end up being a high control good movement guy.  Evan is a guy too that I don’t have much stock in don’t think he will turn out well.  We like Hanson he might be the best pick after Kiato in this draft class.

Bos
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: I like the idea of this draft by Boston, go pitching or go home.  Denoon may not have the room to grow to become a dominant closer but he should end up a very good reliever that can be quiet good.  Jividen Bergeron and Norton are nice projectable guys who have a shot at the back end of the rotation.  All a nice power builds, most folks don’t like power builds but they have been shown to work and these one look pretty good .  The rest are nice lotto ticket types.

Chc
Grades:
TT:
MZY:B-

Review:
TT: 

MZY:  Chicago took a few nice projectable players with their draft.  The big question comes at the top of their draft as they took Spry, he had a nice pre-draft jump so its curious as to where he might have been slotted in.  Regardles he is a nice looking spec high control and GB rate and good fastball.  The rest of him is average to below so not sure how he ends up but in a draft with lots of questons it’s a good safe pick.  Navarro was a good pick in the 2nd, if you like the power build with two fastball pitches, which I do.  I think he could end up being a suprisinly good SP when all is said and done, not a top end of the rotation guy but could be a mid rotation guy.  Obrien was the best of a shitty Catching class, he might not be a top end catcher but he should end up in the mid 80s for an arm and maybe a 90s handling.  Newberry and Vrena are gusy with nice projectable buils as well, a few good jmps and they will be alright.

Chw
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY:  In a draft of question marks you take question marks.  Bakker is a big one.  His fastball screams yes, his stats scream yes too, until you see his HR the last two years they have been up if that continues then it could be an issue.  Also none of his vitals are above his overall, this is a concern not a huge one maybe but nevertheless a concern, he should slot in the mid rotation but I worry about his effectiveness.  Harris is my favorite of this group two solid pitchs and some decent looking vitals, HR might be an issue as well but he should end up a pretty good mid to back rotation starter.  TOlzman is a defense first SS with some nice speed he should end up at worst on the bench somewhere.  Then you have the RP, Newcomer needs to jump this season or me might die quick, the other two are lotto tickets and not overyly fancy.

Cin
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: I don’t like Wideman, yes he is young, yes he looks to be a control movement build with a bit of power sprinkled in, but there are some major red flags.  HR might run high and his walks outweigh his strikeouts more often then not and his OBA is running high, so I have my concerns.  Mayla might be the best of the bunch his defense is good and he has some pop in his bat, could end up a solid starter.  The rest are some dollar scratch offs.

Cle
Grades:
TT:
MZY: A

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Listen like it or not Winwright is the best SP in the draft he is the classic build everyone likes control movment with a touch of power good fast and curve balls good GB rate.  No obvious HR problem though we wouldn’t mind seeing the K/BB rate a bit higher.  I like Swanston a lot as well and would have taken him had he fallen to me, nice projectable bat not a 3B obviously but could end up a 1B at worse a DH and should be a nice feared hitter.  Buying back in for Wiemann is a good call too, decent speed great defense and could end up a solid all around bat, maybe not a starter but we would not be surprised if he were.

Col
Grades:
TT:
MZY: C+

Review:
TT: 

MZY: With one pick you do the best you can, Colorado just missed.  Elliot wasn’t the worse pick far from it, but he just wasn’t what you would say the best possible pick.  HR might be an issue but maybe not, the real concern is the lack of a dominant pitch that isn’t a Curveball.  The high GB rate might negate the lack of a fastball, or it could mean an increase in those HR if he leaves it flat.

Det
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: I like the draft, Westcott seems to be a good pitcher his control wont be as high as most like seems to be in that Tayo mold, so he should end up a good mid rotation starter, if things all come up Milhouse then maybe a 2nd starter.  Pinch will work in a, very good defense a bit of speed and should end up solid all around bat.  We like Webster quiet a bit could end up a solid pen arm if all pans out well.   The rest are nice projectables but nothing to go googoo over.

Fla
Grades:
TT:
MZY: B

Review:
TT: 

MZY: We like Gentry a lot, we had secretly hoped he would fall to 40 but alas it was not meant to be, should have good defense and a solid to good bat.  You are looking at a guy who should end up a everyday player at the MLB level.  Justiz is thee typical power eye combo could potentially DH.  We like Brawner nice LH bat got a little bit of speed and looks to hit RHP very well.  The rest of the guys are nice projectable bats, nothing special but projectables.

Hou
Grades:
TT:
MZY: N/A

Review:
TT: 

MZY:

Kcr
Grades:
TT:
MZY: A-

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Not a huge fan of Metz, Love the speed the defense should be ok and the bat might be as well but im not overly confident on it.  At 17 you have plenty of room to grow so its not a bad pick by any stretch of the imagination its just one im not a fan of.  Viela however I love, high control the HR issue are going back and forth he may have one he may not, a lot will be told if he jumps or drops with his late august birthday. All in all we like him a lot and think he should be pretty solid to good.  Jara we like a lot great speed should be a solid defender, we like him more than Metz who was taken much earlier.  Gregory should be a solid back end of the rotation option when he comes of age.  The rest are good lotto types from one dollar scratchers to 10 dollar big paydays.

Laa
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: LA is hoping for some Angles in the outfield with this draft, they may have found a few.  OWM did a good job picking a lot of guys that already have good defense and have a good shot at adding the bat later.  None of these guys really stand out way past the others but they all have their own set of nice skills, Pernas is the one I would pick out of the bunch he had a huge drop but if he can rebound you are looking at a slid starter for the MLB squad. There wasn’t much in the realm of the pitchers that he took a coupel look like they could end up back end starters but only time will tell.

Lad
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Miller should be a very good bat and it doesn’t make sense that he fell as far as he did, not bad he didn’t fall one more spot but oh well.  He will have good contact and very good power his defense might be lacking but that doesn’t matter he should rake and could see some ASG.  Hanes is a very good defender and has some impressive vitals but his contact is a bit lacking so we have some concern but he should be a nice HR hitting outfielder with some Defense.  Galdos is a weird pick I don’t see the like from him he has no vitals over his overall and he turns 22 this year.

Mil
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: We like Witheycombe quiet a bit while most folks do not like the power pitcher build it was worked well with some, we think Pete can be one of those.  He is going to have an amazing Fastball and good curve and solid slider coupel that with a lot of power solid control and good movement, you have an Ace potential pitcher.  Truswell was a good pick too a nice projectable RP who should eventually see a bullpen.  The rest are solid lotto ticket types.

Min
Grades:
TT:
MZY: C+

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Only one pick out of Minny this year he took a young RP with a power arm and two solid pitches, he pitches well the issue is his birthday is right after the draft so his drop will tell most of what we need to know.

Mon
Grades:
TT:
MZY: D

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Nothing against the pick but with only one pick late in the 5th there is nothing to be excited about, his bat is solid but his defense isn’t much, his ceiling is a bench job but more realistically he will be AAAA at best.

Nym
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: No Pickos

Nyy
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: I don’t like the draft, I understand why Skylark is appealing due to his age and his vitals being over his overall, but the build may not be what is expected and the lack of a fastball is concerning, this young and talents would normally crush the opposition they are facing, Skylark did not.  The rest of the draft is full of guys I don’t think will be much of anything.  For me it’s a nah E-Rick.

Oak
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Brain reminds me a lot of Capitanio from Phi I feel he has a top end of high contact solid power meh eye.  The difference between the two is Brain is younger at draft time so he has more room to grow and his defense is better though im worried that the bat may not end up as good even with the extra time but he should end up a good starter.  I don’t like Clete personally I think he is junk he looks like a guy very popular in other fiels where his movement will be very good but the rest with suck, in this file that is a recipe for disaster.  We like Warren and Skerratt we feel they both should do well enough to make the majors, Warren in particular we think could end up a mid rotation starter.

Phi
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: I like Callahan he was a guy on my list, I think he will be a good bat and he has a good arm so he should be able to play the field, RF.  The issue he may have if the stays average across the major vitals and doesn’t have a couple jump ahead he could end up one of those middling OF who have upper 80 contact and low 80 everything else, if that happens he will be a large disappointment.  I love the next two picks, there are not gonna field for shit but they have nice projectable bats.  While I am a bit concerned how they will actually turn out but if they hit the right jumps they could be nice options in the future.

Pit
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Not the best draft for a bunch of mid round picks but Gilly did well with them.  Perez is a nice power eye build not sure if the eye stays on par with the power if he does he will be very good if it lag he will be solid, but a lot of that also depends on where his contact ends up, if it could climb to 80 he could make a ASG or two.  Jordan is a good defense first SS his bat will play better vs LHP if it can improve against RH he might end up a starter.  Norte and Tougher are nice projectable OF with ok bats both could see some service time.  The rest are long shots.

Sdp
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY:  I like the draft, starts with a good bat at the top a solid SP and 3 projectable OF.  Carbia is another of those Captiano type bats, will have good contacts solid to good power and an ok eye.  If that is the case he will be a nice bat to have in the lineup his defese is not ideal so 1B or DH will be were he ends up.  Stewart is a nice looking Control/Movement type with a high GB rate and a great fastball.  With a birthday coming up early July however that could change some things.  The outfields are nice and projectable and all have a shot at legit MLB time, none as long term starters but there is something to like about each.

Sfg
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: 3 late round picks in this draft is not the best place to be, Fontenot is a solid catching option and has the look of a good backup catcher maybe even a starter if all works out.  The other two are nothing more then older lotto tickets im personally not a fan or either and not sure either can make a team.

Sea
Grades:
TT:
MZY: A

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Not going to review it but at the very least I did fuck it up as all Feared.

Stl
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Late picks in this draft again not a great thing, but St Louis was able to do what they do best draft a bunch of Power SP.  None of them are great looking but they do appear to have some room to grow.

Tex
Grades:
TT:
MZY: NONE

Review:
TT: 

Tor
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Not the biggest fan of this draft for Toronto, Wright is 17 but looks to the power movement combo which I like but however without a good pitch and with no fastball at all it will be hard for him to get good I fear.  I wanna like Earley solid speed good eye nice contact, the fear is he already jumped if so he jump could kill him so only time will tell on him.  Not a fan of all the pitcers take but two a think will be queit good, Krasky should be a good RP and if he progresses well he could end up in a Closer role.  The other is Westmacott a lot I thought he would end up a much higher pick because I think that he has a chance as a mid rotation stater.

Wsh
Grades:
TT:
MZY: A-

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Peter went a different route then usual while im not sure it pays off I cant fault him for trying.  Agamez was falling so Washington went ahead and took him, he projects to be a solid fielder with some good power and a solid eye and a bit of speed, but if the contact does do well he could be in trouble.  Cachpole was a guy im not high on there are plenty that like him but don’t think his bat or defense ends up good enough for an everyday starter.  Hamada fell and we all saw it he looks good but a lot will ride on is next jump and then that drop, if all goes well he has some contact a touch of power but lack the needed eye.  Ramon has a lot going for him as well but that July birthday will go a long way to tell us ow he finishes up.  Cartie was a nice pick he is young and could be nicely projectable, the most interesting is the far falling 16 year “SS” he projects to have a bat that will play on a MLB squad but without a defensive position who knows what happens.

Pit GM
'08- Current: Pirates GM Record
'56-'08: Seattle GM Record 4606-3510 .568 win%
'20-'32: San Francisco GM Record 875-1231 .415 win%
'10-'14: Minnesota GM Record 324-324 .500 win%
World Series Champion 2010, 2089, 2092, 2095
American League Champion 2010, 2062, 2089, 2092, 2093, 2095

Best Record Full Year (Regular Season and Playoffs Combined):  131-45 .744 win%
Winner of first ever FCM World Series
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »