• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft Pick Trading
Currently, you cannot trade draft picks until the sim that leads up to the draft if i'm correct.. Why not allow to trade draft picks after sim 2 of the season? the draft class will slightly change if any between the 2nd sim of the season and the day of the draft... i think this would also open up the trade market some and also give people other options to consider to shape their team...thoughts?
indifferent.
I see no reason not to
My only concern is what happens when teams trade away all their picks too hastly just because they have a hot start year after year. Very few people can manage to trade away lots of their picks and keep up a fairly good team. I mean Ive been doing it from the get go (I have drafted some guys but not a lot and even then they usually get traded) but its not easy and means i need to be on a lot to make sure i get first crack at a superstar if one becomes available. And even then doing this has been ctaching up to me due to the trade market right now. I like the idea but I do see some cause for concern.
ya i agree with this proposition, i think if it opened after sim1 or sim 2 it would work out fine.
World Champs: 2071, 2106, 2108
(04-28-2011, 02:14 AM)mike Wrote: My only concern is what happens when teams trade away all their picks too hastly just because they have a hot start year after year. Very few people can manage to trade away lots of their picks and keep up a fairly good team. I mean Ive been doing it from the get go (I have drafted some guys but not a lot and even then they usually get traded) but its not easy and means i need to be on a lot to make sure i get first crack at a superstar if one becomes available. And even then doing this has been ctaching up to me due to the trade market right now. I like the idea but I do see some cause for concern.

Self control is always an issue, I don't think the allowance of trading draft picks will stop anyone from making bad choices. If anything allowing draft picks to be traded earlier in the season will make it easier on the simmer at the time of the draft because instead of all this action coming at you at once, you can take it in stride over a longer period of time.
Cubs GM 2010-2021
2017 & 2019 World Champions
LAA GM 2022-2035
2028, 2029, 2032 and 2034 World Champions
(04-28-2011, 11:10 AM)GoIrish Wrote:
(04-28-2011, 02:14 AM)mike Wrote: My only concern is what happens when teams trade away all their picks too hastly just because they have a hot start year after year. Very few people can manage to trade away lots of their picks and keep up a fairly good team. I mean Ive been doing it from the get go (I have drafted some guys but not a lot and even then they usually get traded) but its not easy and means i need to be on a lot to make sure i get first crack at a superstar if one becomes available. And even then doing this has been ctaching up to me due to the trade market right now. I like the idea but I do see some cause for concern.

Self control is always an issue, I don't think the allowance of trading draft picks will stop anyone from making bad choices. If anything allowing draft picks to be traded earlier in the season will make it easier on the simmer at the time of the draft because instead of all this action coming at you at once, you can take it in stride over a longer period of time.

That's an excellent point. The draft has become a two or three person job and DJ juggles a lot. Having some of those trades put in before the draft would take some of that load off.

For that reason alone I think the suggestion is a good one. I would say that after sim 1 draft pick trading should be allowed until the completion of the draft and then shut down again until the next season.
(04-28-2011, 02:14 AM)mike Wrote: My only concern is what happens when teams trade away all their picks too hastly just because they have a hot start year after year. Very few people can manage to trade away lots of their picks and keep up a fairly good team. I mean Ive been doing it from the get go (I have drafted some guys but not a lot and even then they usually get traded)

Nice to see you've kept your modest nature in your veteran years.

I personally think it would be a good idea, bad GMs are going to make bad trades regardless of when they are able to trade their picks.
(04-28-2011, 01:59 PM)CoreyMetsGM Wrote: bad GMs are going to make bad trades

That basically sums it up for you. There is not reason not too. I'd like to get rid of some picks beforehand.
Dj, is this something we can open up now since everyone seems to be in favor of?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »